Best option for using 30" Cinema Display (DVI) with Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Velmonk, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Velmonk macrumors newbie

I've been trying to figure this out for a while now so I'm hoping someone can help/clarify.

I have a 30" DVI Cinema Display that I want to use with my 2011 Macbook Pro. I know I can use an adaptor to use the Thunderbolt port but I also need to use a Thunderbolt audio interface and neither device has a 2nd TB port to daisy-chain them. As far as I can tell, my only option is to get a dock like the CalDigit or Elgato and get an HDMI>DVI adaptor so I can use the HDMI out of the dock for the display and the 2nd TB port for the audio interface.

I'm wondering a few things:

With this setup will the display operate at full resolution or will it only do that via the Dual link adaptor?

Would a USB>DVI adaptor work?

Is there any cheaper alternative options I'm missing?

Thanks

2. beavo451 macrumors 6502

I don't think any USB display adapters support that high of a resolution. Why do you need Thunderbolt audio?

3. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Basically - not gonna happen. The docks and all available USB>DVI adapters all max out at 1920x1200 or so. Your only option to get that kind of resolution on an external is a Thunderbolt Display, and plug your audio interface into the output of that. Or get a new MacBook Pro with two Thunderbolt ports.