Best option to deinterlace.

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by heynsmd2, May 31, 2009.

1. heynsmd2 macrumors newbie

heynsmd2

What would be the best way to deinterlace, with the least amount of quality loss.

1. Using the '30p' setting on my Sony DCR-HC90e? (similar to 25p on NTSC).
    2. Using quicktime Pro setting 'Deinterlace video' - I read on this forum that the deinterlace setting on QTp is quite basic.
    3. Using the deinterlace filter on FCE4?

2. grumbler macrumors member

Option 1 is your best bet as you won't be "de"-anything at all; your camera will record using glorious progressively scanned frames. The other two options use math, presumably to blur together scanlines, resulting in a quality drop.

And I think 25p is actually PAL, as the standard frame rate is 50 hz?

3. heynsmd2 thread starter macrumors newbie

heynsmd2

25p - you're right...

Thanks for the info.
    Will iDVD 'reinterlace' if I've used the 25p mode?

(The primary use for the video is on the computer and web, so progressive video is my priority, but occasionally need to export to dvd.)

4. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

No: there's no interlacing in progressive, therefore nothing to re-interlace.

5. ghettochris macrumors 6502a

free program JES deinterlacer does well when you really have to deinterlace, I have found changing a 60i to 60p vs the standard 60i to 30p makes motion MUCH smoother and almost unusual on a computer, I did this to some of my old camcorder vids and they are awesome. Lots of assumptions going on in this process to fill in half the missing info from each frame, but it looks much better than the 30p blended result that most deinterlacing gets you.

6. heynsmd2 thread starter macrumors newbie

heynsmd2

?So a dvd that is played on normal tv + dvd player doesn't have to be interlaced? Most commercial dvd's are interlaced (the dvd player in OS X has deinterlacing quality settings...) or am I mistaken?

Looks interesting, will have a look...

7. ghettochris macrumors 6502a

only poorly made dvds or low budget tv is interlaced these days. most tv shows (like lost, 24, heroes, etc) are film standard, basically 24p, and they are on the dvd that way. dvd players can automatically convert 24 to 29.97 by basically adding 6 interlaced frames, this gives best quality and takes up less space on the disc. sometimes they take this 24p source, and add those interlaced frames on the dvd to make it 29.97 because they suck at making dvds, called telecine or something, and you can change it back to 24p by dropping those few frames. (history's the universe season 2, the most recent south park and bbc blue planet are like this) I can't think of a reason anything would be like this because dvd players can do telecine on the fly other than to punish rippers, but they do...

some animated shows or weak tv shows (esp. reality tv) are truly 29.97 with every frame interlaced, those are the ones to deinterlace.