Best option to save storage on a rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Roadking714, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Roadking714 macrumors regular

What's the best method of saving storage on rMBP for apps alone and music and movies seprate

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Keep apps and critical user files on the MBP and larger and less needed data on external drives.

Freeing up drive space in Mac OS X

3. Roadking714 thread starter macrumors regular

If I got a 1 TB with a 3.0 usb enclosure will I be able to save I tunes music on there and movies and play it off there without touching the internal drive

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes, you can use an external drive for iTunes media.

5. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

6. Roadking714 thread starter macrumors regular

If any one can point me in the right direction of getting a good external storage and drive I would appreciate it

7. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

8. Roadking714 thread starter macrumors regular

Just read a few reviews on that lacie not working after awhile

9. RKO macrumors 6502

RKO

I use the cheapest Western Digital, Samsung and Western Digital drives. I have never had a problem yet with a hard drive in over 20 years yet others have not been so lucky. I also keep a backup of my backup. No hard drive brand is exempt from failures. Luck of the draw really and having a surge protected power supply helps.

10. nanogirl21 macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

11. FumbleDuck macrumors member

If you want to keep high speeds I can suggest the following items. As SSDs are pretty well encased now, I don't really see the need to put them in an enclosure. Plus the cable below has UASP (which your rMBP should support but check first) which allows for quite fast speeds that are higher than what you would normally get with an external drive over USB3 (even with a "lower performing" SSD). The beauty about the items below is that you can let the drive get knocked around or flap about on your lap on the couch as its solid-state with no worry about spinning disks, etc (within reason of course):
    Startech UASP cable
    SSD Drive (480GB)

12. Roadking714 thread starter macrumors regular

Looks good also good reviews.. Thank you

----------

I'll look into it thanks!

13. Jeff R macrumors 6502

Jeff R

Still rocking my old trusty 10 year old Seagate external (powered) hard drive. I'm planning on getting one of those modern portable USB hard drives but been reading a lot of bad reviews. I'll probably be getting one but like you said, keep a back up of a back up. Portable USB hard drives tend to die cause it's underpowered.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I prefer Western Digital, they seem to be pretty solid

15. DiCaprioAngel macrumors 6502

I have a 1TB WD My Passport Air for Mac external hard drive and it works great. I would definitely recommend that if you haven't gotten one already.

16. Roadking714 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm leaning more to that seems like reviews are very good... Question I want it for iTunes music movies and photos do I get a second one for backups or can I do it all on one

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I wouldn't use the same drive for backups and storing data. What happens if that drive failed. You'd lose your data/backups. Have one drive set for backups and another for data, that way in the event of a failure you have at least one copy of your data.

18. Roadking714 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok thanks

19. kastorff macrumors regular

kastorff

My opinion as well… All hard drives fail eventually, but LaCie and Seagate have higher failure rates in my experience (and clients') than WD.

20. dxmac99 macrumors regular

If your ext hdd is not plugged won't that confuse the iTunes when you are adding new music in?

21. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

iTunes will error that it cannot locate your library and prompt for you to locate it or create a new one. But once iTunes is closed and the external drive is reconnected, it will work properly again.

22. close2reality macrumors 6502

I do not trust HDD, which is why I went the extra mile and paid for the 1TB MBPr.

I would rather have ALL my data on an SSD and backed up on HDD versus a smaller SSD rMBP with a majority of my files ONLY on HDD because i do not have room on my MBP SSD to store them...if that makes sense?

23. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

I get what you're saying, but you can backup an external disk as well.

I currently have my important files and music stored internally (250GB) and my photos and video editing projects/files on my external drive (2TB). They are both backed up to a big 3TB drive. It works pretty well actually.

24. Roadking714 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm thinking of doing this because I can't afford buying a bigger model rMBP .. This will be mostly my main computer as everyday go to...