Best option to save storage on a rMBP

Roadking714

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2014
What's the best method of saving storage on rMBP for apps alone and music and movies seprate

Roadking714

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2014
If I got a 1 TB with a 3.0 usb enclosure will I be able to save I tunes music on there and movies and play it off there without touching the internal drive

Roadking714

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2014
If any one can point me in the right direction of getting a good external storage and drive I would appreciate it

RKO

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2008
Just read a few reviews on that lacie not working after awhile
I use the cheapest Western Digital, Samsung and Western Digital drives. I have never had a problem yet with a hard drive in over 20 years yet others have not been so lucky. I also keep a backup of my backup. No hard drive brand is exempt from failures. Luck of the draw really and having a surge protected power supply helps.

FumbleDuck

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2015
If any one can point me in the right direction of getting a good external storage and drive I would appreciate it
If you want to keep high speeds I can suggest the following items. As SSDs are pretty well encased now, I don't really see the need to put them in an enclosure. Plus the cable below has UASP (which your rMBP should support but check first) which allows for quite fast speeds that are higher than what you would normally get with an external drive over USB3 (even with a "lower performing" SSD). The beauty about the items below is that you can let the drive get knocked around or flap about on your lap on the couch as its solid-state with no worry about spinning disks, etc (within reason of course):
Startech UASP cable
SSD Drive (480GB)

Roadking714

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2014
Looks good also good reviews.. Thank you

----------

If you want to keep high speeds I can suggest the following items. As SSDs are pretty well encased now, I don't really see the need to put them in an enclosure. Plus the cable below has UASP (which your rMBP should support but check first) which allows for quite fast speeds that are higher than what you would normally get with an external drive over USB3 (even with a "lower performing" SSD). The beauty about the items below is that you can let the drive get knocked around or flap about on your lap on the couch as its solid-state with no worry about spinning disks, etc (within reason of course):
Startech UASP cable
SSD Drive (480GB)
I'll look into it thanks!

Jeff R

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2014
I use the cheapest Western Digital, Samsung and Western Digital drives. I have never had a problem yet with a hard drive in over 20 years yet others have not been so lucky. I also keep a backup of my backup. No hard drive brand is exempt from failures. Luck of the draw really and having a surge protected power supply helps.
Still rocking my old trusty 10 year old Seagate external (powered) hard drive. I'm planning on getting one of those modern portable USB hard drives but been reading a lot of bad reviews. I'll probably be getting one but like you said, keep a back up of a back up. Portable USB hard drives tend to die cause it's underpowered.

DiCaprioAngel

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2013
New York
I have a 1TB WD My Passport Air for Mac external hard drive and it works great. I would definitely recommend that if you haven't gotten one already.

Roadking714

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2014
I'm leaning more to that seems like reviews are very good... Question I want it for iTunes music movies and photos do I get a second one for backups or can I do it all on one

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
I'm leaning more to that seems like reviews are very good... Question I want it for iTunes music movies and photos do I get a second one for backups or can I do it all on one
I wouldn't use the same drive for backups and storing data. What happens if that drive failed. You'd lose your data/backups. Have one drive set for backups and another for data, that way in the event of a failure you have at least one copy of your data.

Roadking714

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2014
I wouldn't use the same drive for backups and storing data. What happens if that drive failed. You'd lose your data/backups. Have one drive set for backups and another for data, that way in the event of a failure you have at least one copy of your data.
Ok thanks

dxmac99

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2013
If your ext hdd is not plugged won't that confuse the iTunes when you are adding new music in?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
iTunes will error that it cannot locate your library and prompt for you to locate it or create a new one. But once iTunes is closed and the external drive is reconnected, it will work properly again.

close2reality

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
I do not trust HDD, which is why I went the extra mile and paid for the 1TB MBPr.

I would rather have ALL my data on an SSD and backed up on HDD versus a smaller SSD rMBP with a majority of my files ONLY on HDD because i do not have room on my MBP SSD to store them...if that makes sense?

Cloudsurfer

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2007
Netherlands
I do not trust HDD, which is why I went the extra mile and paid for the 1TB MBPr.

I would rather have ALL my data on an SSD and backed up on HDD versus a smaller SSD rMBP with a majority of my files ONLY on HDD because i do not have room on my MBP SSD to store them...if that makes sense?
I get what you're saying, but you can backup an external disk as well.

I currently have my important files and music stored internally (250GB) and my photos and video editing projects/files on my external drive (2TB). They are both backed up to a big 3TB drive. It works pretty well actually.

Roadking714

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2014
I get what you're saying, but you can backup an external disk as well.

I currently have my important files and music stored internally (250GB) and my photos and video editing projects/files on my external drive (2TB). They are both backed up to a big 3TB drive. It works pretty well actually.
I'm thinking of doing this because I can't afford buying a bigger model rMBP .. This will be mostly my main computer as everyday go to...