Best options for longevity?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Foolmetwice, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Foolmetwice macrumors newbie

I'm considering buying a macbook of some sort after being burnt twice in the bast few years from having to get my pc/laptops fixed due to major virus invasions. The most recent virus I received on my Toshiba from 2010 destroyed my anti-virus software! The computer technician took two days to fix it (I was grateful to have my old files and programs kept intact). It seems like after two years on the dot, in my experience, PCs implode and/or get infected, despite any good anti-virus programs, any precautions. My father, who always owned PCs since the mid 1980s, seemed to have to replace them every 2-3 yrs since they'd die out on him.
    Seriously-- nothing irritates me more than having to spend more than my laptops are worth just to get them de-bugged! My sister still has the same macbook pro (?) from 2008-- meanwhile I've had to replace my PCs out of sheer frustration over and over again. I'm sick to death of spending money on anti-virus programs, watiting for my anti-virus programs to scan my computer, getting annoying Windows updates that take forever, etc..
    PS: I am not one to click on "You have 1,000 viruses, click here!" messages, or to download oddball files from shady websites. It seems that PC viruses can infect through perfectly legitimate web sites. I get annoyed when I read posts from people accusing those who "get infected" of being completely ignorant. I believe those who create viruses/trojans/worms are becoming more sophisticated.
    I admit I am relatively unable to fix my PCs other than "system restore" or "Ctl+Alt+Delete end program X". I'm also not one to break open my computer and add a hard drive, for example...
    I guess my question is: what would be the best options longevity-wise? I would like to get a macbook of some type and have it last a while-- I am considering getting an SSD because it seems that they have a longer shelf-life than HDDs. I know that ODDs are going to become obsolete soon, but I still use CDs and enjoy watching a movie on my laptop at times. I was gravitating towards a macbook pro for that reason. Should I avoid a refurbished mac if I intend on keeping it a long long time? Should I buy the protection package Apple offers, especially since I'm more familiar with PCs?
    My computer use is generally internet-related, with nothing related to gaming. The only "big" program I use (that is on CD) which I would like to install is a Rosetta Stone program from 2010. I use a cordless headphone set as well so I can watch movies online, and I question whether I'd have to buy a different type of headphone if I bought a mac. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there....

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Any Mac model will last for many years if you take care of it.
    No, refurbs are a great buy and come with Apple's full warranty and qualify for AppleCare. There is no reason to avoid refurb models.
    AppleCare
    AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac or Apple Display

• You can buy AppleCare any time during the first year warranty period, so you don't have to buy it at time of purchase.
    • You can check your remaining warranty and/or AppleCare coverage here
    • AppleCare will extend the 1 year warranty for an additional 2 years, for a total of 3 years coverage from the date of your Mac purchase.
      It also extends telephone support from 90 days, which is included with your original warranty, to a total of 3 years.
    • You cannot buy AppleCare again or renew it once it expires.
    • Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover damage from accidents, spills, etc. They only cover manufacturing defects.
    • AppleCare+, which provides some coverage for accidental damage, is only available for the iPhone, not for Apple computers.
    • Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover batteries that have worn out. They only cover defective batteries.
    • For more detailed questions, read the AppleCare Protection Plan (pdf) agreement.

As to whether AppleCare is worth it or not, that's a matter of opinion. You'll find lots of opinions on both sides, with roughly 75% saying it's worth it. You really need to decide if it's worth it to you. If you want more information, you can search the forum, where you'll find dozens, if not hundreds of threads asking "is AppleCare worth it?" The overall consensus seems to be about 75% in favor of it.
    OS X Lion Kills Rosetta PowerPC Support, Here’s What To Do About It

3. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

sorry ... I only read your thread title ... therefore eat well and exercise :cool:

4. Foolmetwice thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, those issues are covered already-- thanks! :p

5. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I'm glad I'm not the only one who read it that way. Yours was going to be my exact response.:eek::p

6. Foolmetwice, Jan 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2012

Foolmetwice thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, since this is the "Mac Basics and Help" section, I figured the "longevity" question would not require further explanation...
    I figured the "what kind of mac should I get so that I don't have to replace it every xyz years" would be a bit wordy.

Thanks for the reply, GGJStudios--
    Regarding reburbs, I think the fact that even used Apples sell for so much speaks for itself.

Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I think PCs are designed to die after two years of use (by an average person who is also not also an IT professional). Most people I know personally agree with me on that subject.
    I kick myself now for not buying a mac two years ago. The price was one major issue. I also didn't want to bring home an Apple just to have my now-ex boyfriend balk at me and complain that I spent too much.
    My previous Apple dislike was a hold-over from my school days. My elementary school had the big old blue-and-white screen Apples, and my files would never convert on my dad's IBM.... To add a touch of irony, my father has never owned an Apple, yet has 200+ shares of it as of today...
    My opinion slowly changed after a co-worker/graphic arts major back around 2003 told me her mac never got internet viruses. My sister, who was a teacher and avid Apple user, also said the same. I then fell in love with the iPod classic I bought for myself in 2008. I have an iPod touch right now, and don't find using it as being particularly painful in any way-- so I imagine I would be able to transition to Safari, etc, without smacking my head against a wall.

7. AdrianK macrumors 68020

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

For longevity I find that getting the newest processor model you can is the most important thing.

When it comes to RAM, hard drives, and graphics cards, those things don't tend to get you put in the 'obsolete' category for a long, long time.

For example, right now the people who are cut off from Lion and iCloud are the people with the Core Duo chips from 2007. The people with Core 2 Duo chips are fine.

So today, my suggestion is to do whatever it takes to get an i7 chip. This is a possible upgrade in every Macbook form factor. You can always buy more RAM in 2 years to give yourself a boost, but when it comes to Macs, a processor is forever.

That's assuming you buy today, though. If you buy in a year, my advice still stands...try to get whatever they have after the i7. Stay on the cutting edge when it comes to processors and your Mac will last a long, long time.