Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hotdwag

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2016
Looking to purchase a 15" Macbook Pro that will be my main driver for at least 3-5 years. Used to working on a MBPro "Esc" with a 15w chip, and while not horrible, does slow down workloads. The only thing I know for sure is purchasing the 1TB upgrade. Looking to see if anyone has the following options and if they think it was worth it. Any other recommendations appreciated since I'm the type to look at all options etc

32GB worth it?
32gb RAM vs 16gb. I edit video, use VMs that aren't memory hogs (CLI linux etc), and tend to have around 2-5gb free when working with heavy loads (16gb now). Do you find the 32gb option to be a nice looking number without a major benefit / wish you spent extra somewhere else?

Vega Upgrade worth it?
Radeon Pro 560x vs Pro Vega 16/20 - Great ot have for video editing / rendering. However, the other interest is using win10 and gaming... though not purchasing this as a primary gaming device. Some numbers show that Vega series performing better with HBM2 vs GDDR5. Not sure how many have these models since they are newer and find dropping 350 worth it.

PeterJP

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2012
Leuven, Belgium
I currently have a late 2013 13" rMBP. If I were to buy an MBP today, it would be 15", 1TB, 32GB and Vega20. Why? Well, macs last a long time if they have enough spec. My 8/256 late 2013 is deficient in the storage department as well as (sometimes) in memory. With hindsight, I would've spent more for the mem+SSD upgrade.
And the Vega20, because it runs cooler with external screens. I've had bad experiences with laptops running hot for easy tasks, so I'm considering that an investment well worth. If the price hike from 2800 euro to 4700 euro seems a lot, well, I'm reckoning it'll give my laptop a comfortable life of 5-6 years instead of 3. I overspent on an 8/256MBP instead of a 4/128 11" MBP (about half the price), but I'm still using it after 5 years. Great deal, particularly counting the time I didn't spend migrating to a new machine.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
I think for the 2018 models 13" are better, having used both.
Get the 15" if you need to edit video on the fly, else get a 13" with an eGPU.

if you edit video via FCPX, it benefits from Vega a lot.

rex450se

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Independence, MO
I first bought the 2018 15"/32Gb/1Tb/560X Macbook Pro and exchanged it as soon as the Vega one's were available. I went with the 15"/32Gb/1Tb/Vega 20 and am more than happy with my decision. I could probably have been fine with the 16Gb of Ram but with no way to upgrade later I'll never hit the point where I wish I had gone with more. In the photo editing and little bit of video editing I do it has been a champ. I really think the Vega runs a little cooler than the 560X since it doesn't have to work as hard or as long for the same task. I don't game or do anything too demanding but am very happy with my purchase.

rayriceroni00

Suspended
Nov 12, 2016
I don't game much anymore so I settled with the 560x.

I also went 512/16gig. I still don't see 16gigs as a bottleneck, at least doing photography work with large RAW files. Maybe video editing would make me think differently.

I don't know much about external GPUs, but can't you make your own via an AMD card instead of the overpriced one from Apple? It's like a few hundred bucks?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.