Best OS except Windows/Mac?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by musty345, May 13, 2012.

1. musty345 macrumors regular

musty345

I've had VMware Fusion for a while now, and i've tried running Windows on it. I've also tried Linux on it but it's not a big change from Mac OS. I was just wondering if there were any really unique Linux distributions or any other OS's that I can download a .iso for and try out with VMware fusion/bootcamp?

This sounds stupid, but in spy movies they always have their own cool OS's, are there any real OS's which are like that?

Thank you!

2. Quad5Ny, May 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2012

Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

3. musty345, May 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2012

musty345 thread starter macrumors regular

musty345

4. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

You can always learn Unix ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFUlAQZB9Ng

In all seriousness Solaris, or Free BSD would be alternatives to regular OS's. Also I'm not sure what Linux distro you had but I don't know any that are similar to Mac OS :confused:

I do have a fondness for Mint Linux.

5. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

You and I both :)

6. murphychris macrumors 6502a

Fedora. Bleeding edge Linux.

CentOS, which is a nearly identical version of Red Hat Enterprise Linux if you need something rock solid stable.

Illumos or OpenIndiana - fork of OpenSolaris.

7. theheyes macrumors regular

The fact that you say Linux isn't all that much different than OSX suggests to me that you haven't looked much beyond the surface layer. Get stuck in and you'll find the cool stuff.

8. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Besides the ones mentioned, there is also Jolicloud if you want something a bit different. (Came before Chrome!)

9. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

10. leman macrumors G3

Ubuntu is pretty much the user-friendliest and most polished (in the sense that is just works) linux distro right now. Its last releases also copy much of OS X UI design (global menu,dock, launcher, etc.)

11. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

If you want to try something different for free how about BeOS Haiku, MINIX or for something different Plan 9. Plan 9 will take some reading to learn how to use though (it isn't user friendly), whereas Haiku is pretty simple to try out. As a bonus you can download Haiku in the form of a ready to use virtual machine.