best OS for MacBook Air mid 2012, 4gb

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Kevsurf, Mar 15, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Kevsurf macrumors newbie

Hello guys,

can you please give me a hint which OS is the fastest for my machine?
    At the moment, I am on El Capitan but I have the Feeling that Mavericks was the fastest OS on it -since Lion (which it came with).

Thank you guys in advance...

Kevin

2. Daniva macrumors member

Daniva

3. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

2c.

Stay current.

Your machine will run 10.11 and that will receive security updates for longer.

4. Kevsurf thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your answer...It would shure be the easiest Thing to do. But I am afraid that alle new features and all future features will slow down my machine. I only have 4 gb of ram....Do you think thats a problem?

5. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Shouldn't be a problem i don't think as your air has SSD...

You are correct in your assumption that Mavericks may be a bit faster though. But you'll need to upgrade sooner or later for software support and updates.

6. Kevsurf thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks again, I will think of it...most probably I will downgrade to Mavericks...
    btw: does Mavs still receive security updates?

7. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

I did just check, looks like it had a security update in January so i think yes.

edit:
    source: https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT201222

8. Kevsurf thread starter macrumors newbie

Thx for checking and answering my question...

9. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

I would stick with 10.11. I run it on my 2011 air with 2GB of RAM, and it runs quite well.

10. gertruded macrumors regular

The mid 2012 has a SSD. My mid 2012 air has 4 gigs of ram and is running the latest version OS well. The newer airs have improved battery life by using lower power chips, and some improvement in graphics capability, but otherwise the 2012 air is still an up to date machine. 4 gigs is enough for most users, unless you are running Windows within OSX.

I feel no reason to update to a newer model, the 2012 air is my main machine, currently hooked up to a 23 inch monitor and a 2 terabyt HD

11. Kevsurf thread starter macrumors newbie

So you're saying that our 2012 MBA is almost as fast as the latest MBA and they only difference is that the newer chipsets are less battery demanding?

12. Daniva, Mar 16, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2016

Daniva macrumors member

Daniva

Here are MBA 13 benchmarks:
    MBA 13 mid 2012 - Intel Core i5 1,8GHz = Single Core Score 2351, Multi Core Score 4742
    MBA 13 early 2015 - Intel Core i5 1,6GHz = Single Core Score 2540, Multi Core Score 5040

So, you won't see significant differences in daily use. The main noticeable difference is the battery life, but remember that, when your A-1406 battery expires, it can be replaced with the A-1496 wich is the same installed on MBA 13 early 2015 and you'll see a more than 9 hours battery life

13. Kevsurf thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your post. According to this values, it acutally does not ake sense to buy a new MacBook Air when it comes to daily computing (sure, battery is another issue).
    I will get my battery replaced...