Best OS for Macbook pro mid 2012 (non Retina)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Yurish, Oct 7, 2018.

?

Best OS for Macbook pro mid 2012 (non Retina)

1. Sierra

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. High Sierra

37.5%
  3. Mojave

50.0%
  4. Older

12.5%
  1. Yurish macrumors newbie

Yurish

I have Macbook pro mid 2012 HiRes display (non Retina) with SSD drive installed. Currently it has MacOS Sierra and it works pretty well. But I wonder if High Sierra at the end became as good or even better than Sierra? Or mabe I should try even Mojave?
    I assume newer OS might convert my file system to APFS, so it might be a headache to downgrade back to Sierra, that;s why I decided to ask comunity. For me main priority is stable system without headaches. Not very interested in a new functionality, but would be nice to have not too old OS to be able to install newer software (like XCode).
    Thanks for advice.

2. Rocko99991 macrumors 6502a

Rocko99991

High Sierra runs perfectly on my late 2011 MBP. I won't not hesitate to use it if I were you.

3. Complex757 macrumors 6502

Complex757

I have Mojave installed and haven't experienced a problem

4. Yurish thread starter macrumors newbie

Yurish

If you have non Retina I assume you used a fix to enable font anti-aliasing? No difference in font rendering compared to older OS?

5. Rocko99991 macrumors 6502a

Rocko99991

There is line you can run in terminal to fix this.

6. AlexJoda, Oct 8, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2018

AlexJoda macrumors 6502a

AlexJoda

That line:

defaults write -g CGFontRenderingFontSmoothingDisabled -bool NO

Some prefer additionally to “Use font smoothing when available” in the „General“ preference panel but that makes the fonts appear very thick...

--- Post Merged, Oct 8, 2018 ---
    Mojave works so far (with this ant-aliasing fix) without a problem! I installed a quick SSD (formatted as APFS) and 16 GB of RAM to support this modern OS the best possible way. My 2012 MBP feels like a completely recent Mac. The only „trick“ to know is to use a USB2 stick to install BootCamp. USB3 is not recognized while installing W10 from this MacBook...(By the way: Windows 10 looks even better with this MBP because the font rendering on non Retina Displays is much better on Windows than on MacOS...)

7. Yurish thread starter macrumors newbie

Yurish

Thank you all for reply.
    Installed High Sierra yesterday. Seems no problem.
    I have two partitions on SSD drive, it converted to APFS only one, system partition. Not sure if I should convert other partition as well.
    For now use it as is. May try Mojave after couple iterations.