Best OS for MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MacAndrew07, Aug 19, 2013.

1. MacAndrew07 macrumors member

I have the early 2008 white MacBook (4,1 model) 2.4 GHz with 4 GBs of RAM and a 250 GB Hard Drive. It's currently running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 with iLife '11.

Does anyone still have this Mac if so what OS do you recommend to install on it? Should I just keep using Snow Leopard until it's unsupported by Apple, or take my chance to Lion but if I do so I'll loose performance since it's my only machine and I don't plan to upgrade any time soon. Mountain Lion is out of the question since it can't run on this MacBook :D

2. paulbennett95 macrumors 6502a

paulbennett95

I have the same MacBook with the same specs (spare the HDD) and I find using OS X Lion to be as smooth as SL, and has some added features. HOWEVER, if you require Rosetta (allows the running of PPC software on Intel Macs) then you should stay with SL because Rosetta is removed from Lion.

3. dylin macrumors 6502a

dylin

It just comes down to whether or not you need the new OS if your current apps no longer run on Snow Leopard or not. I still have my white Macbook running OSX 10.6.8 and all seems well :)