Best OS/HDD for a 2007(?) MacBook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by atMac, May 11, 2012.

1. atMac macrumors 6502

I used a (?) as I am not sure what the year is. It is the last version of the pre-unibody that still has Home-End, and Page Up/Down on the keyboard.

I am going to refurbish it for my mother and I have already upgraded it to 4GB of RAM.

What I would like to know is, should I put 10.6.8 or 10.7.4 on it, and what hard drive should I use? I believe it is SATA 1.5 so an SSD or hybrid drive would be almost pointless right?

I'm thinking of a Western Digital Blue drive, and 10.7.4 just so she doesn't have to worry about compatibility. She is moving form a PC with Windows 7 and will only be using Office, Mail, and the internet.

Perhaps I have just answered my own questions?

2. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

3. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

A standard HD will be fine (SSD will get an increase but for the price on SATA1, its your jurisdiction)

I have a 2006 imac that has less specs than your computer and it works ok... 3gb of RAM (max for it) is enough to do word/internet/basic photo editing.

Edit: Your model might use SATA II (I dont know enough about the pre unibodies to tell)... Anyways if she is not a speed freak she probably will not need an SSD