Best OS version for 13" rMBP Late 2013

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cappo3, Oct 6, 2018.

1. cappo3 macrumors member

Hi guys!
    Since 2013 I own a 13" rMBP (2.8 i7, 16GB, 512GB SSD).

Apart from the battery, which I will have replaced at an Apple Store within the next months (the capacity dropped to about 65% by now, after over 1100 cycles), I am still very happy with its functionality and performance. And USB ports. :p

It came with Mavericks installed, which I thought was a very good system indeed. Two years ago I decided to bite the bullet and pulled the trigger on an update to El Capitan. While it was not the latest version back then, it sounded like the most suited for this 3-years-old machine.

Now I am starting to ponder if an update to a newer OS version could be something. I do not care much about additional features like Siri or Dark Mode, but I am starting to have issues with Safari on many webpages and sometimes with software that does not support El Capitan anymore.

Would you recommend an update to a more modern version of MacOS and, if so, which would be the most solid release for this aging machine?
    Thanks!

2. n-evo macrumors 65816

n-evo

I'd just upgrade to the latest version that it supports. There's no real reason not to. I never noticed a performance hit on new macOS versions compared to an older one to be honest.

3. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

4. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

I'm running Mojave on a 13 inch mid-2009 model. It runs great! I would recommend upgrading yours to Mojave

5. cappo3 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for your insights, guys!
    I heard of many people (on this forum) having issues with High Sierra and Mojave, I figured I can settle for an older version of MacOS in order to squeeze some more life out of my rMBP. Since my battery health is running low and I use my laptop a lot away from the mains, I care about battery life a lot...
    Would I get any advantage in overall speed and battery life by updating to Sierra or Mojave?

6. CmdrLaForge macrumors 601

CmdrLaForge

I have almost the same machine. Late 2013 13“, 16GB, 1 TB SSD, battery already replaced. Runs Mojave almost fine. Takes a little long to wake from sleep. That’s my only issue so far.

7. Hadron macrumors regular

Mine (a lower spec 2013 model) is still on Sierra, but mainly because I never got round to updating to High Sierra or Mojave (and as its replacement is on the way there's little incentive to do so). I can't say I noticed any performance loss on the updates though.

It sometimes has crashes awaking from sleep, but I'm pretty sure it did that with El Cap as well (Mavericks is so far in the past I couldn't say).

8. n-evo macrumors 65816

n-evo

9. Complex757 macrumors 6502

Complex757

With your processor and RAM you can run Mojave fine. I have no problems on my 2012 and your processor is better.

10. cappo3 thread starter macrumors member

I find my machine runs perfectly well on El Capitan, I did not notice any performance loss over Mavericks. I think I'd hate for it to get slower, especially while waking from sleep, since I open and close it quite often... Is it that noticeable? But tell me more about the battery replacement experience! Did they replace the whole top case, with keyboard and trackpad? How long did it take for you to have your mac back?
    --- Post Merged, Oct 7, 2018 ---
    Did yours come with Mavericks preinstalled, or with an even older version? Do you notice no hiccups at all in your workflow since you updated?

11. Complex757 macrumors 6502

Complex757

It came with Mountain Lion. I haven't had any problems at all so far. No slowness or crashes.

12. yukari macrumors 6502

yukari

You should consider what software you are using. Some softwares are not compatible with High Sierra or Mojave.

Also some softwares require you to upgrade if using High Sierra or Mojave.

You might not want to spend $ on software upgrades.

13. Macbookprodude macrumors regular

Macbookprodude

I suggest Middle Sierra :)

14. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

15. PhilMacbook, Oct 10, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2018

PhilMacbook macrumors regular

I had the crashing from sleep issue on my 2012 MBP with Sierra. This is a thread which wasn't to do with sleep issues but went off topic and I was given a fix that worked
    https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/do-macbook-pros-have-soldered-batteries.2117691/

16. Toutou macrumors 6502a

Toutou

My 128/4 base model runs Mojave with no issues.

17. CmdrLaForge macrumors 601

CmdrLaForge

First questions - wake up from sleep is a few seconds slower. Besides this almost no issues. Almost means some. E.g. my screensaver just changed the default photo album I have chosen to a standard one.

Second question - my battery was expanding and the MBP started to wobble on the table. I called Apple and they directed me to an authorised third party Apple Service. Took them one week. They had to replace the keyboard and maybe even the trackpad. Anyhow - I paid the standard fee as per Apples website.

18. infernoguy macrumors regular

infernoguy

Mojave! I have the same model minus 265GB storage and it runs Mojave without issue. I wish I could say the same about my 2015 MacBook.