Best OS X "101" Book

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Brown Trout, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Brown Trout macrumors member

The may be OT, but as a new iMac owner, I would like some advice about written OS X guides -vs- relying on forums. I am very competent with Windows up to 7 but am new to Apple. I am doing great with my brand-new iMac but would like to read up on the OS rather than posting questions or searching from time to time here.

(This may be OBE with Lion coming but for now would like to get some of the basics)

Two popular choices on Amazon for Snow Leopard appear to be Pogue's "Missing Manual" or Butler's "Bible."

Looking fwd to your input; of course since I am doing reasonably well so far would understand a recommendation to wait until these or other 101s are updated for Lion//

Thanks, Dave

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. jkmags, Jun 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2011

jkmags macrumors member

I also used windows before purchasing my first Imac, I did some forum reading and purchased the "Missing Manual" ebook for my Kindle. I would recommend it to a beginner of the Mac OS X as it does cover a lot of the basics and some other not so common subjects (linux, networking, etc).

In short, I found a lot of good information that i actually use with my Imac.

John

4. Brown Trout thread starter macrumors member

THX, John.

Appreciate the input.

D.

5. jsgreen macrumors 6502

+1 for Missing Manual

I haven't read this one, but have read decent reviews of "Mac at Work" by David Sparks

6. mennie macrumors newbie

mennie

Missing Manual is good. Alternative choice is "Scott Kelby".

7. Herdfan macrumors 6502

There are at two different ones. One targets users moving to Mac OS X from Windows and I think it is titles Moving to Mac OS X. The other is just titled Mac OS X. The "moving" one is not as complete as the other one, but gives a few pointers for those moving from Windows.

Either will give you the info you need.

8. cooky560 macrumors regular

cooky560

I wrote two articles on my page relating to Apple Mac, things I've learnt on my travels:

Article 1

Article 2

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

David Pogue has a good one "switching to the Mac" I used it a lot when I started cause it was just about what's different between Windows and OSx.

10. blevins321 macrumors 68030

+1 again for Missing Manual. I use this as a supplementary aid in a computer literacy class I teach locally. The very computer-illiterate find the picture aids to be very helpful.