Best "OS X Image" creator?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SDAVE, Sep 20, 2007.

1. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

I know there must be an application similar to "Ghost" or "Acronis" on the PC side.

One that would also compress an image and split it in different sizes (such as DVD5) would be great.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Thanks alot!

I can probably use Toast to split the huge file over multiple sizes.

Hopefully this app supports compression so I'll save some space. The backup image is going to be about 80GB

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I does support compression but you're going to need a lot of space to begin with. My advice is at least x2 the amount of free space. The image will usually end up about half the size in the end. My 22 GB installation usually trims down to 10 GB.

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

There used to be an app called DMGscissor that would split Mac OS X disk images, but I can't find it anymore, and it was never made into a Universal Binary.:(

Though the app appears to be gone the functionality is still there. You just have to use the Terminal to do it. I must admit, though - the effort required to make a GUI front-end for the command-line tool in AppleScript Studio wouldn't be much at all, and would be something I'd be interested in making in my spare time.;)