Best os x version for 2006 macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by tommy060289, Jun 22, 2011.

1. tommy060289 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hey everyone.

My girlfriend has a 2006 MacBook (1.83Ghz, 512kb ram, etc) and since she's left the same as when she got it out the box 5 years ago, it's become a bit sluggish.

I'm going to stick 2gb of ram in it just to up the ante a bit and then format the hard drive and put a clean install in. My only question is:

I use snow leopard and was going to put that on her laptop as I find it to be the sleakest and most efficient os but hers originally came with tiger. The apple store upgraded her laptop to leopard due to some issues with keychain manager that wouldn't go away and this fixed it for her but we have no CD so it is a toss up between the latest snow leopard (which some say is a memory hog) or tiger which hopefully won't throw up the key chain problem again and may (or may not) be as much a memory hog.

I find snow leopard fine on my MBP with 2gb of ram but I also have a better processor to help out (2.26 CTD) so what do others think?

2. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

My daughter is using a MacBook I bought which came with Tiger. It's now running Snow Leopard just fine. Also upgraded to 4GB RAM. I'd say go for it!