Best OSX browser?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SuperMiguel, Oct 6, 2010.

1. SuperMiguel macrumors 6502

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I do like the speed of Chrome in my official daily-usage tests, but I think it comes down to just preference.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Each has their own advantages and it is just personal preference
    Which ever one meets your needs is the best

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Benchmarks are often misleading. Opera was said to be the fastest browser but in my experience, it's the slowest even though its JavaScript engine is the fastest in benches. To be honest, I can't notice any difference in speed when using Safari, Firefox or Chrome.

One reason I like Chrome is because it's so RAM efficient. Safari uses much more RAM than it does

5. Sir Lorad macrumors member

I've being testing Chrome for the last 2 weeks, and must say that it is way faster than Safari 5.

Specially in pages with flash games, like facebook.

But I think the Safari's interface is better than Chrome.

6. Zortrium macrumors 6502

In raw speed, Chrome generally comes out on top (Safari a little behind, and Firefox more so). Though Firefox feels a little sluggish and bloated these days, though, it remains my primary browser because I'm addicted to my addons.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The best OSX browser is the browser you want to use and are happy with.

8. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Lots of posts here on that but this in not a quantitative thing to evaluate--you need to use the browser you like the best--simple as that. I like Safari so that's what I use. :)

9. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

With browser speeds these days it really doesn't matter which you pick (at least for speed).

I personally like using Firefox 4 and Opera. They both give me some peace of mind. Safari beach balls waaaaaay too often and I don't touch Google products.

10. old-wiz macrumors G3

I use Chrome, Firefox, and Opera at different times. My big dislike for Chrome is no bookmarks sidebar like Firefox and Opera have.

It's way too much a personal thing to say which is "best".

11. solaris macrumors 6502a

solaris

OS integration and features are just as important as pure speed.
    Camino is the "best" browser to me. :D

12. randomerratum macrumors 6502

I use Safari as default. Simple, elegant and usually works just fine. It's generally WAY faster then the others for me (chrome is pretty close but I don't care for the interface) - occasionally Safari comes across something it can't handle very well and I'll switch over to Firefox (even mobile me hasn't been cooperating with Safari lately on some of my machines) - Firefox is a good sturdy workhorse that seems to be completely capable of taking care of whatever Safari can't handle but it's also much slower in my experience.

So, yeah. Safari with the occasional help of Firefox for me.

13. Dolorian macrumors 65816

Dolorian

Chrome is very much unbeatable in my opinion.

14. Kieranic Guest

Safari is my favorite (probably because it's so fast and slick) with Google Chrome right behind it.

Firefox is all the way down there. Sure it has addons, but I never use them (except for one I don't need anymore) and it's slowwww.

15. clientsiman macrumors 6502

clientsiman

16. joris538 macrumors member

As others have already said, it is a personal choice. Nowadays all browsers are very fast, so what is making the difference nowadays is the user interface and ability to use extensions.

I always use Chrome, because its interface is really simple. I especially like the one text bar, where you can fill in both URLs and do searches in many different search engines, so no separate text fields.

17. Hastings101 macrumors 68020

Hastings101

I use Safari, although Firefox and Chrome are much better they just seem to have problems with Java applications on OS X. Safari on the other hand has no problems with Java, I just get the lovely rainbow wheel for no apparent reason on random websites, some that don't even use flash! The moment Google makes java useable on the Mac is the moment I drop safari for something that isn't so unreliable.

18. Corbin052198 macrumors 6502

Corbin052198

I like Safari because it's lean, slick, and it does it's job. Of course I'm talking about the 3.1.1 I am using, but you know... :D

P.S. Chrome sends information about the websites you visit to Google's servers for diagnosing problems. :eek: DO NOT USE!!!! :eek:

19. 3runjosh macrumors member

I have tried to think of one possible reason why it would be bad that google takes information of sites you visit. Who cares lol it doesn't affect us at all. It is not like it steals credit card info who cares if google knows i access google.com facebook.com etc everyone of my friends knows that too lol

20. mark88 macrumors 6502a

I like chrome but the address bar auto complete is immensely slow at times, you're quicker typing out the whole URL.

Anyone else get this?

21. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc