Best Output Format Help!

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by davidjearly, Jun 10, 2011.

1. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Hi,

I'm working with HDV 720p in final cut, and wondering what is currently the best method for outputting video that can be played on both Windows (XP and later) and Mac OS X 10.5 + without the need to install any codecs.

Any consensus on this?

I'd like to keep the video HD if possible, and playable on iOS devices.

Thanks!

EDIT: I'm sending the output to compressor to do the export.

2. mBox macrumors 68020

Well I guess Quicktime is out then? My experiences are that there isnt one that can be played on both without a possible hangup. I would say MPG due to the HD part but that wont play on the Mac unless you use VNC Player or have an MPG codec for QT.

3. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

Make an H.264 in Compressor, then open it in MPEG Streamclip and save it as an MP4.

That's the best you're going to get without making multiple versions (and probably having to buy additional software to do so).

4. davidjearly thread starter macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Can XP / WMP play those files back without QuickTime installed? Also, will that play on iOS?

5. boch82 macrumors 6502

H.264 quicktime. Make sure the data rate is set to under 1600kps. Should play fine mac/pc as long as the pc has quicktime installed.

Our web player is 570x321 and I do each deliverable at that size and the above spec while editing and it plays on the iphone (3gs and 4) and ipad fine. You might run into a couple issues with frame size. I havent tested a full 1280x720 file on the iphone. PM me if you want a link to a video at this spec to test

6. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

Why transcode twice? If you want MP4, just export the original in that format.

7. davidjearly thread starter macrumors 68020

davidjearly

So, basically what I'm looking for doesn't exist? Grrr....

Is the best route to go down iOS supporting MP4 then and advise windows users to install VLC?

Thanks for all your input.

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Huh? MPEG-4 is an older QuickTime format. The default QuickTime formats can be played on any Windows computer with iTunes installed. However, Microsoft advertises its two most recent versions of Windows Media Player, WMP 11 and WMP 12, as having the ability to play this format. They are also supposed to play MOV, but we know that MOV is a container format and not an audio-video format. Microsoft makes no mention of H.264. This being the case, it should be safe to distribute MP4 without worry.

9. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

If Windows users have iTunes installed, they can play an H.264 MP4. WMP will play it if they've installed the requisite codec.

If you fancy more work you could make an HTML5 web page with an H.264 MP4 in the <video> tag and a Flash player fall-back. That would work for anybody able to watch videos on YouTube.

The 'Save' function in MPEG Streamclip just changes the container format, it doesn't transcode.

10. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

How is it being delivered?

11. gameface macrumors 6502

I know when I export h264 with my elgato turbo it comes out in a .mp4 and I just change the extension to .mov so my website player will read it. Won't it just work in reverse? Export h264 as mov and change the extension to .mp4?

12. davidjearly thread starter macrumors 68020

davidjearly

It's being delivered through a secure website, needs to be playable on iOS devices, Mac OS X and Windows XP.

There will be a streaming version for playing in the browser, or a downloadable button to put it into iTunes and get it onto iPhone, iPad etc.

The aim is make one version, compatible with XP, Mac and iTunes. Ideally, it won't be limited to iOS devices, but will be able to be played on Android/WP7 as well. It is hoped most clients will put this on mobile devices, and therefore will have iTunes/Quicktime installed, but in the event they just want to play it on the PC, I want to avoid the - 'please download and install xxx to play this file'.

I know I might be asking much, but surely there is a way of doing this with 1 video format, and without the need to install 3rd party software?

EDIT: to the other poster, Windows XP does not play back MPEG-4 natively. You need to install an additional codec for WMP, or install iTunes/Quicktime.

EDIT 2: I would like to keep this HD resolution (720p) if possible, as the detail in the videos is imperative.

13. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

Do you have control over the website, or is it something like YouTube where you upload a video and it does something to it?

I ask because I'm thinking along the lines of h.264 encoded MP4 (or M4V if you refer, it's irrelevant. Flash plays what Flash plays regardless of what suffix you give it) with JW Player as the front end.

Plays on anything with Flash installed. If Flash isn't installed, it delivers the MP4 directly.

Well that's a new requirement you have introduced...

Dunno. Depends. AFAIK (and that's not far at all) "Android" is a moving target. If you wanted to play it safe, consider a WebM version of the file in addition to the M4V. You can configure what file gets served to what platform in JW Player.

14. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

I don't know for certain but I wouldn't bank on changing the file extension in the Finder actually doing the necessary reshuffling when switching containers. It may do in the limited cases where there are no incompatibilities, but I think it's far safer to do it in software designed for the task.