Best Paid Dvd Ripper?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by charlottes13, Dec 30, 2009.

1. charlottes13 macrumors newbie

Okay. I'm really frustrated of all the crap free DVD ripping programs so I've decided to buy one. Handbrake will only rip certain region ones, MacTheRipper gives me this DUMMY VOB warning and I'm just wasting my time. I don't think any of the free ones will actually be good because the movie industry is trying to make everything so hard. I guess the paid ones will be better since they probably have a special way of working around the DVD. So yes finally. I just can't be bothered anymore. I'll buy one.
    Conditions:
    1) Ones that can rip the EXTRAS & BONUS FEATURES (like bloopers and DIRECTOR'S COMMENTARY) of the DVD as well as the movie itself
    2) Good quality
    3) Good price (not too over-priced)
    4) Converter so that I can put it on my iPod but I want other formats. Avi and stuff like that, ones that I actually need. Unlike WAV or OGG or other ones that I haven't even heard of.

I've heard of one called Aisesoft? And also Toast 10? I have no idea though so please reviews and reccomendations :)

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Even paid DVD rippers can't get past some DRM. But I like DVD Remaster fwiw.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Damn those movie studios for trying to protect their content!

4. Redline13 macrumors 6502

Damn those paying customers who want to consume their media as they wish!

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

DRM is there for a reason, whether you like it or not.

6. charlottes13 thread starter macrumors newbie

So you use it? And you can get the extras on? Tell me more about it please.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Exactly! Sorry but assuming that anyone who rips a DVD is doing so to skate by without paying is narrow-minded. Yes, it happens and quite frankly I'm not here to argue ethics. But when I buy a DVD I'd like not to jump through hoops if I decide to centralize my library so that it is accessible to me.

Even still, paid or unpaid a DVD ripper is not necessarily better and cannot (by law) guarantee it will be able to bypass the DRM.

Yes I use it and yes I can rip the full DVD or just the main movie.
    You can see the options here but again, even a paid app like DVD Remaster Pro says the DVD is encrypted and therefore cannot be ripped. This app is good to rip and store on a HDD or rip and burn to a DVD. I usually use Fairmount to copy (free) the entire DVD to my HDD then handbreak to encode for iPhone, Apple TV etc.

The only reason I bought DVD Remaster was to make physical copies of my DVDs, which I own over 400 of ... I mean since we're on the discussion of ownership and fair use. ;)
    Screen shot 2009-12-30 at 9.38.07 AM.jpg

8. YoNadz macrumors regular

So with DVD remaster do you ever get the annoying errors?? or does it work pretty good most of the time?

9. kingtj macrumors 68020

Another option ....

Recently, I've had really good results with RipIt (www.ripitapp.com).
    They even guarantee that if you find a DVD it can't successfully copy, they'll buy a copy of that DVD and figure out how to make the software work with it.

It basically just dumps a deprotected copy of the entire DVD to your hard drive. Unlike Mac the Ripper or Handbrake, it doesn't attempt to work with "chapters" of a disc, or let you selectively copy portions of one.

(Basically, it winds up creating one big file with a .dvdmedia extension on it, but if you rename the file, removing the extension on the end, you find it's really just another folder with the typical VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS file structure inside.)

10. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Why is that censored?

Handbrake is not a ripper, it's a conversion software. It converts the MPEG-2 encoded stream to another encoded format of your choice. It uses VLC and its included libdvdcss to remove copyright protection.

MacTheRipper is quite old (there is a new version, but you have to pay the developer some money) and only rips the DVDs, but not every new one around.

Fairmount and RipIt (paid) are also considered good.

Toast is a CD/DVD burning software, it can copy video DVDs, but only ones without copy protection.

PS: .avi is a container for videos encoded using different codecs like Divx or Xvid. iPods don't read .avi files that well, they are better with .mp4 videos. Handbrake has a preset for that.

11. Redline13 macrumors 6502

DRM does nothing to stop real pirates and inconveniences paying customers.

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I get errors like "This DVD is Encrypted" which is something you may find everywhere. The difference is DVD Remaster tells me whereas Fairmount or even Handbreak (not a ripper but an encoder) will fart around for hours before I figure it out.

Like I said a few times now ... no matter how much money you pay or have to spend on an app DRM exists whether you like it or not. Your issue is with DRM not with an app itself tbh.

13. jc1350 macrumors 6502a

Yup, it sure is. It's not about piracy, though; it's about getting the same customer to pay 2 or more times for the same title. Have a movie you really like? Did that disk get damaged beyond repair? The movie studios literally have the attitude that you should have no problems handing them more money for that backup copy.

Yes, those greedy customers who want to have backups - what are they thinking? It's not like money doesn't grow on trees. Oh wait....

14. lukecro macrumors member

Mtr 4.0?

I've been using Mac the Ripper 3 for the past year or two and it's been great. I successfully ripped over 100 of my DVDs; tossed the DVDs and just kept the high-quality rips, so I could clear up shelf space.

Only had trouble with 2 of the DVDs -- and in those cases a quick visit to some MTR forums provided answers on how to easily work around the issues. So, I highly recommend MTR 3 - although getting a copy of it initially is a convoluted affair (involving sending a small "gift" via Paypal using Swiss Francs to the developer, and then you gotta download the program and the libraries separately and sign up to their forums, etc.), the program itself is very easy to use and very reliable.

I haven't tried MTR 4.0 yet - it just came out this month. I'm hoping it'll be awesome, but I can't find any reviews for it. Has anyone here tried it out?

15. Rich1963 macrumors 6502

I got my hands on MTR 4.0 a few weeks ago and love it. It can operate as Ripit and be a 'one click' affair, but also has all of the unique options that 3.0 contained. Rumor has it 4.0 will soon gain the ability to be pointed at a disk image stored on your hard drive already, as opposed to only being able to go to work on a disc inserted into your super drive.

16. lukecro macrumors member

Sounds great. I just got approved for the new MTR 4.0 forum, so I'm going to download it this weekend. :)

17. lilskaterpunk macrumors regular

lilskaterpunk

Let us know how it goes!

I am interested in MTR 4 and if its worth trying.

18. lukecro macrumors member

It's working GREAT so far. Nicer, simple interface; ability to rip straight to ISO if you want to; seems to be faster than MTR 3 (although I haven't done a side-by-side comparison to be sure); supposedly works with newer DVDs that MTR three could get tripped up on. I've only tried a few DVDs so far, so I'll have to give it more of a workout before I can give it an A+, but so far so good.

19. lilskaterpunk macrumors regular

lilskaterpunk

Good to hear!

Thanks for the reply.

20. oposky2006 macrumors member

21. usher macrumors newbie

usher

I think the dvd they sold us somehow have the right reserved? poor thing us...:D

22. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

Stop The Press!

WinDVD for Mac has an offer, it's free now with a serial number. Check their website or other MR threads about it.

I have a few DVD-related software from various bundles. I only use RipIt but purely for convenience. The size remains the same, but the quality suffers.

Handbrake is good, if you are not fussy about the interface and if you have time. DVD Remaster is getting pretty good, it's worth a demo.

23. usher macrumors newbie

usher

what good for making free mac dvd ripper

it is just unreasonable to find that, there are so many free mac ripper on winxdvd.com. why these biz men like to produce free software? If some one can give me a convincable answer, maybe i will give them a try.

24. macrazee macrumors regular

Unfortunately the DVD situation on the Mac is still problematic. Not sure why? Macs are fantastic for video after all. I don't understand why a company that makes terrific products for Windows (like Slysoft with AnyDVD or DVDFab, which I love!) doesn't make an equivalent Mac version...

The best paid ripper on the Mac is Mac DVDRipper Pro. It's a measly $10 and handles most anything. I do have times where NONE of the Mac rippers will produce a quality, usable rip -- for example, RipIt is probably the biggest piece of crap turd out there -- claims over 250000 successful rips but actually play them and you'll find a lot of errors; buttons which don't work and menus which loop or fail to execute the program chain properly...

Sometimes I am still forced to fire up Parallels and run DVDFab on Windows to get a full, quality, ACCURATE rip.

MacTheRipper 4 is OK but the program is slow and clunky and I *still* have discs which fail to rip with it. For what the author asks for it and the arcane system of acquiring and getting any support, it ought to be A LOT better.

My standard routine now is to rip with Mac DVDRipper Pro. Probably 7 or 8 out of 10 rips will be OK...the ones which fail I use DVDFab on Windows to get a good rip. I'd like to avoid Windows completely but, unfortunately, it isn't possible yet.