Best password app for app's

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BigDukeSix, Mar 25, 2014.

1. BigDukeSix macrumors 6502a

BigDukeSix

I have downloaded Dashlane to manage my passwords. However, since this is my first experience with a password management app, I was surprised to see that this only works on websites. Is there an app that will store passwords for other apps? Tried to google that info, but have not had much luck finding an answer. I am running IOS 6 on my iphone and ipad. Thanks in advance!

2. silvetti macrumors 6502a

silvetti

3. Ted Witcher macrumors regular

You can store secure notes on Dashlane.

4. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

+1 for both.

5. Xe89 macrumors regular

1Password:

cmd + shift + C to copy passwords from the selected item in 1Password mini.

6. charliemacos macrumors newbie

7. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

Big fan of 1password here. I use it on my machook, pc and iPhone.

8. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Another one for 1Password. Stores any info you want, and works across platforms. I think it's on sale still too.

9. 2012Tony2012, May 4, 2014
    Last edited: May 4, 2014
  10. flynz4 macrumors 68040

1Password recently added another great feature... far better than any other program that I am aware of.

It is called "Watchtower" and it was developed because of the Heartbleed exploit. Unlike other solutions, 1Password downloads the entire Heartbleed database and then compares it locally against your personal data. It does all of this on your own computer, so that there is no chance of your personal information leaving your own computer.

Note that even if I did nothing... the fact that I never use the same password anywhere... I am much less vulnerable by the mere fact that all of my unique passwords are captive to just a single site.

In my case, I have 395 stored records in my vault of which 303 are login passwords. Note that I do not do anything extraordinary... so most people probably have about this many passwords stored... even though that probably would not realize they have this many. Against my collection of login passwords, Watchtower is identifying 101 (exactly 1/3) that need to be changed.

It is now trivial to work through that list, starting with the most critical first... so that I do not remain open to the Heartbleed exploit that we all face. As more websites close the Heartbleed exploit, Watchtower will keep me up to date on which of my 303 logins need to be changed.

Once again... remarkable execution by the what I consider to be the best password program available.

/Jim

11. TheNewDude macrumors 6502a

I use OneSafe on my mac, ipad, iphone and android phone.
    Great app! Worth every penny and it's very easy to use.

12. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

The Mac app really looks nice.:)

13. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

I have been using eWallet on my iPhone, iPad, PC & Mac. Have used a lot if password/form fill apps & eWallet has been provided the best experience for me.

14. AlabamaSlammer macrumors 6502

AlabamaSlammer

have to agree with a few others and go with 1password. Use it on all my devices

15. saberahul macrumors 68040

All posts seem to suggest the storing of App passwords; however, I assume you mean autofill for apps like Dashlane does for websites. No app can truly do this as it would require launching of app and then logging you in. Dashlane has some apps built in to its iOS app; for example, if you open the Dropbox card, it will give you option to open Dropbox.app and copy password to clipboard, which you can then paste when app opens.

Keep in mind that in Dashlane you can use the cards the same way as for websites, just leave the URL field blank. You can also use secure notes. Also, many apps have their own websites - so you could just use that website. There are many options for you to choose from. Personally, I find 1Password to be too expensive for my tastes. Dashlane does the same thing for free for life for me (I was a pre-adopter). Keeper, KeypassX, OneSafe are all good options too.