Best password keeper app

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Soulflower, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Soulflower macrumors regular

Soulflower

Can anyone recommend their favorite password keeper app please?

Years ago in the days of my Palm Pilot and PC I used ewallet and it would sync between the two. I need a similar program now. Is there one that syncs between iPhone, iPad and Macbook?

Thank you for your recommendations.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

3. jekyl macrumors 6502

jekyl

The only one I've tried is LastPass, but it does everything I want it to so I'll recommend it.

4. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

1Password is all you need. Passwords plus notes and stuff like that. Plus it has a Mac desktop companion app and browser plugins.

5. jekyl macrumors 6502

jekyl

Does it have advantages over Lastpass? I find Lastpass does all I need and it coordinates logins over my iPad, iPod, Macbook Pro and Win7 (idiot)box.

6. INNOVATTY macrumors newbie

INNOVATTY

1Password is very popular however it may cost you at least $5.99

If you're looking for a cheaper alternative, you can try OnePass. It has a lite version.

7. Sunspark macrumors newbie

People recommending 1password need to tell people that in order to use this app without being too annoyed you need the desktop version which costs extra. The iphone only version is crap.

I bought 1password only to discover that if I wanted to generate passwords, etc. I needed to store the password in two separate areas, one in the regular place, and one in a second area for generated ones.. so you'd have the same item appear twice. To move the password over, you needed to copy and paste the password. Developer says they will change this in the future, but couldn't say when.

Got my refund, got msecure instead which works great and doesn't need a desktop application or have to store the password twice in two places, and am perfectly satisfied with it.

8. atlanticza macrumors 6502a

atlanticza

9. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

I almost never use the desktop app, and 1password keeps my iPhone and iPad synced seamlessly. Not crap at all thank you very much.

10. lsquare macrumors 6502

Since you seem to like the app, can you clarify what was SunSpark's problem with 1Password?

1Password Pro is on sale at the moment and it works for both the iPhone and the iPad.

I currently use Lastpass for my Windows 7 desktop and laptop. It works perfectly for me, but I don't like the fact that I have to subscribe to use the iOS version and even then I heard it's a separate browser since Mobile Safari doesn't accept plugins.

11. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

I have no clue what SunSpark's issue is. I use this app every day and probably have 200 entries now across all categories. It's one of the most useful apps on my devices.

I tried half a dozen password apps before settling for 1password - paid and free. It does everything I need.

12. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

1Password works well it syncs with Dropbox if you want and that way you can sync between iPad and iPhone.

It also has a password generator which is nice. But I think you have to get the pro version to get the sync but I'm not 100% sure on that.

13. BugBytes, Dec 28, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2012

BugBytes macrumors regular

+1 on the 1Password replies. Someone I know uses it for his Apple devices and he likes it.

14. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

Why not use Pages??? Or Numbers???

I think that is the easiest way to manage passwords for things. I have a strong password on my iPad so I am not worried about people getting on my machine to see them.