Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mike12806

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 30, 2007
Boston, MA
Okay...so I have a 20 inch white intel imac and LOVE IT! Got it about a year ago....but I'd really love to upgrade to a new mac pro! What would you guys recommend, either selling the imac now for a higher resale value and buying a base/refurb mac pro, or just waiting it out and saving up all that cash for a tricked out new mac pro?!!? I know, I know, I probably don't need a Mac Pro, but I can't resist to have the best!

ErikAndre

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
Florida
Tough call there, man...

But if you're going to sell the white iMac, now is the best time. Apple is likely to update the iMac with the new penryn processor sometime this year (probably in the next 4-5 months at Apple's rate). Sell on Craigslist, eBay or to a friend... whatever. I'd say go with another iMac... if you really want the Mac Pro, I'll be flat honest with you... the refurb is perfect, but by the sound of your thirst for this thing, it isn't going to satisfy your hunger.

I'd say save up for it, get the base line Mac Pro (you can "trick it out" over time), sell your iMac, then upgrade your Mac Pro as you go along. You'll pay the penny for it, but that's the price for this addiction. I say stick with the new iMac, but if you must go, go with the latest and greatest... get the latest Mac Pro.. it's 8 cores and the base line will do just fine for your addiction.

mike12806

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 30, 2007
Boston, MA
Tough call there, man...

But if you're going to sell the white iMac, now is the best time. Apple is likely to update the iMac with the new penryn processor sometime this year (probably in the next 4-5 months at Apple's rate). Sell on Craigslist, eBay or to a friend... whatever. I'd say go with another iMac... if you really want the Mac Pro, I'll be flat honest with you... the refurb is perfect, but by the sound of your thirst for this thing, it isn't going to satisfy your hunger.

I'd say save up for it, get the base line Mac Pro (you can "trick it out" over time), sell your iMac, then upgrade your Mac Pro as you go along. You'll pay the penny for it, but that's the price for this addiction. I say stick with the new iMac, but if you must go, go with the latest and greatest... get the latest Mac Pro.. it's 8 cores and the base line will do just fine for your addiction.

Thanks for the advice! I also want to get away from this "all-in-one" deal, i'm already afraid, being outside of warranty without applecare, that this thing is going to crap out....but from the looks of these forums the white imacs seem to be pretty reliable machines.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.