Best path to upgrade mid 2010 MBP w/SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MDAS, Oct 22, 2014.

1. MDAS, Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2014

MDAS macrumors newbie

(I went back through about 8 months of posts here and didn't see an answer and thinking current opinions may differ.)

My old 13" MBP mid 2010 seems to handle Yosemite quite well but I can't get by on the original 256g HHD anymore and am going to swap it out for a Crucial MX100 512g (will keep the optical).

What is the best way to make the switch? Clone the drive or do a clean install on the SSD and migrate from the old drive in an external case? I have a Time Machine backup I could restore from as well.

This is not my main machine, but rather a family rig with several users doing mainly mundane tasks. Been getting tired of looking at beach balls and waiting so long for wake up and user switching so I think it is worth the $. Currently have 4gig and not sure if maxing out at 8gig would make big difference.

Also have seen some comments on the SATA cable. Should I install a new one just in case while I have the thing open?

Thanks.

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

If you have no data you absolutely don't want to lose, I'd do a straight swap with a clean OS install. That's about as simply as you can get.

A clone'll work since the target drive is bigger than the original.

There is no "right" way.