Best Pay-as-you-go Phone in the US

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by yojitani, Jun 14, 2009.

1. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Well, as the title, what are the best pay-as-you-go phones in the US? I was about to spring for Virginmobile today, but my wife heard about Tracphone from a friend and so now I'm looking at them too. Reading the reviews of both, I'm concerned, especially about Tracphone.Their customer service sounds horrendous. What do you think of these two companies? Are there others that you would recommend?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

T-Mobile

I'm just shy of rolling over my minutes so that they last a full year.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I had VM for a while, the phones are all cheap (cheap, not inexpensive), and the call quality sucks. I could barely understand the other person.

I switched to T-Mobile - much better call quality, and it is $1/day that you use the phone, 10¢/minute and free 7pm to 7am.

4. ElectroGhandi macrumors regular

ElectroGhandi

I recommend Tracfone. Their phones are dirt cheap and so are their minutes. They don't have fancy (confusing) features like other PAYG companies, but you can get a lot of minutes for cheap.

5. Wyvernspirit macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

TracFone or Net 10. Neither has the $1/day to use fee the major carriers (AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile) do. Unless everyone you know is on one of the majors, in which case, it may be better to go with that one.

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yeah, but I like the fact that with T-Mob, I can pick up my phone at 7, and talk for an hour or two to family and all it costs is $1 for using the phone that day.

7. Wyvernspirit macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

All the majors do something like that, and if you can hold out till the "nights/weekends" kicks in or only talk to members of that carrier then they can be good deals.

8. yojitani thread starter macrumors 68000

yojitani

I'm closing my AT&T account (regular 2 year contract deal) because I rarely use my mobile phone. Mainly it's just calling friends to let them know I've arrived somewhere or my wife to tell her I'm going to be late :D. I'm just not much of a talker on the phone. I have Voip at home too which is pretty much call whoever whenever.

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I just use my cellphone for the car in case of an emergency.