Best Pay as you Go plan in the UK

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by walangij, Jul 10, 2008.

1. walangij macrumors 6502

I'm completely clueless in what pay as you go plan I should get when I go to the UK next week. I'll be there for 1 year, mostly in London with various trips across Europe every once in a while. I know of travelsimshop.com which has free incoming and no roaming, but it is a little pricey since I'll mostly be in the UK. The Orange Raccoon plan looks the most promising for what I'll be using my phone for. Any bad things about orange?

I don't text too much, don't plan on making too many outgoing calls (I'll do this using skype @ my flat) but plan on having a lot of incoming calls since I'll be on call in my work. Anyone have any suggestions from experience? Or if anything, which company should I avoid? Thanks MR community for the help in advance!

2. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

3. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

I got a 3 Skypephone which is great! Free Skype for 30 days whenever I top up, £5 a month (out of your credit) for unlimited data, and the phone itself is great, especially for the £40 you pay for it!

I know you can get free unlimited internet on Vodafone pay as you go though, and on their own branded phone which is £40.

If you are betwwen the ages of 16-25 you might wonna take a look at Blyk, too.

4. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

all uk phone networks have free incoming texts, and free incoming calls, so it really doesnt matter which phone or tariff you go for, if all you plan to do is recieve calls and texts.

Like the guy said, T-mobile has cheap data, but if you start using skype on it, you have to get a more expensive data plan or hope they don't catch you.

One other thing - many phones sold here still only store maximum of a few texts in memory. something like 10-15. If that's important then get a smartphone or somethign like that. (I've never hit my TyTn phone's storage limit - I had over 6000 texts in memory at one point.)

Hope that helps.

5. gregbr macrumors newbie

gregbr

I've used Virgin mobile and haven't had any problems. I love the free incoming texts and calls, and best of all, there's no expiration date that I know of. (Unlike here in Canada., stupid Fido!) The UK is the best place for only receiving calls.

6. nplima macrumors 6502a

hi

Bring your own phone and sign up for a £15/month SIM only deal as soon as you get a job and national insurance number. you get at least 150 SMS and 150 minutes per month, which is quite more than you'd get from pay as you go.

7. walangij thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks everyone for all the great help! I have my phone from last year which I bought when I stayed in Bangkok so I'm set for that, free incoming is something rare here in the states (my plan has it though), glad to hear it's like that there. Thanks MR community again for pulling through with great answers!