Best PC processor for under $100?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Rob587, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Rob587 macrumors 6502a

Rob587

Looking for the best/fastest processor I can buy for under $100?? There are so many options out there that I thought I should ask.

I was thinking about the Intel Pentium Dual-Core E6500 Wolfdale 2.93GHz... but I really have no idea how it compares to others. I only know that its dual core 2.93GHZ.

Im also trying to keep the price of the motherboard as low as possible without inhibiting future upgrades.

2. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

i did a power search on newegg. check this link out. i would go for either a phenom X3 for multitasking or a athlon series one, because AMD will give u the best bang for buck for ur money because the next time u upgrade, u can prob use the same mobo.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

also, check CL as well

Those dang "always gotta have the best" crowd usually throw away awesome parts just becasue its a step behind the latest lol

4. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

Yea, I was leaning towards the AMD until I heard that the latest i5 and i7's majorly outperformed the new AMD Phenoms. Just made me think that if I went with AMD now, it might not be as great to upgrade with down the road.

But you think its easier to keep the same motherboard if you go with AMD? This would definitely make me lean towards the AMD.

5. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

yes, because AMD doesn't change sockets as often as intel does. intel practically changes them w/ each new processor line. AMD like to keep backwards compatibility in mind. that and i think the i5s are a bit above ur price point.and even if u were to get a i5, i doubt youw ill ever use the max power i can get u.

6. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

Im pretty sure ive decided to go with the AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus 2.6GHz.

What would be the cheapest motherboard I could go with to accommodate this processor (keeping in mind that I would like it to be able to support some minor future upgrades?)

Is the (ASUS M4A78 Plus AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail) a decent choice?

7. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Asus is always a good choice! Is that a micro atx motherboard?

8. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

Yah AMD loves backward compatibility. That is the company's shining feature. That and their chips really do run well. I'd get an AMD. Like dude up there said, "more bang for your buck".

9. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Get a Phenom X3 720. 20 bucks more and you won't be sorry. Plus, there are tons of AM3 mobo's out there for under 100 bucks. Intel sucks. 1200 bucks for their highest end processor and 99.99999999% of PC users won't ever use that power. AMD fo shizzle.