Best pdf size reduction app for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ArcticBlue00, May 24, 2016.

1. ArcticBlue00 macrumors member

ArcticBlue00

Hi!

I'm searching for an app which can reduce the size of my pdf files.

I have some scanned pdf files with OCR bigger than 200mb which are not able to be attached in Evernote, and I need to add those files on EN so I can do text searching.

Could you recommend the best app for this?

Thank you in advance.

2. campyguy macrumors 68030

Adobe's blog post is several years old, but IMHO the content is still relevant. My attorneys and I exchange PDF'd documents often, and all of us use Acrobat DC - but, the app used should not matter much relevant to file size. The key is to use a decent lossy compression format for the "image" portion of the PDF - all of the apps I've used are set up to save files with lossless image files (such as CCITT G4), and changing the image file format to a lossy file format (such as JBIG2 - although some apps don't use JBIG2 as the patent fees are expensive...).

http://blogs.adobe.com/acrolaw/2009/08/reducing-the-file-size-of-scanned-pdfs/

Also, have you made your scans optimized for "text", or "black and white"? The files I scan for passing on to others are set up for "text" (at 600 DPI) - the screen images do not look nice, but they're readable, print out nicely, and OCR very well. "Text"-optimized scans @600dpi result in file sizes that are often a very small fraction of the size of even 150dpi greyscale/black & white scans.

3. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

I use PDF Pen, open the PDF file, select Edit, Resample Image, lower the DPI and change the compression. You can also change from color to gray scale to save more space.

4. MacGizmo macrumors 6502a

MacGizmo

You could try Preview app. Go to File/Export... Choose PDF from the drop-down menu. Then in the Quartz Filter drop-down menu, choose Reduce File Size.

[​IMG]