Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zmz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2013
I've tried to look somewhat around on the web for reviews of the best pen/stylus for writing, but not all reviews focus on writing.

So therefore I ask ya'll: What's your choice?

I have an iPad air and will only use the pen for writing - taking notes from meetings etc.

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately

nanogirl21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
Midwest United States
I think this is great choice too, I almost purchased it. I might get it for my wife, then I can pick my favorite and ask her to change. :D

Oh that's not the one. I'll have to find the link, but it's from the same company.

----------

This is the one I almost ordered until I was introduced to the jot script.

http://www.lynktec.com/TruGlide-Apex-s/1860.htm

Yes, only thing is that it's not out yet. The kickstarter campaign for it just ended and it say's 4-6 weeks delivery. That is 4-6 weeks after production has ended. It says shipping Jan 2014, but that is still 4-6 weeks for delievery. You are looking at Feb/March time frame. That is a VERY long time to go without a stylus if you really need one.

I got my Pro version on Black Friday (with the bonus case and paint brush tip) for $20. I thought that was reasonable to hold me over until the Apex comes out. This also gave me to opportunity to test their quality. I havn't used the paintbrush tip, since like myself I only take notes. The Pro version has the weight and thickness of a regular ballpoint pen. It has a really nice solid design. The tip is bit differnet since it is microfiber. It do not make any nose (like the Jot Script) when writing. The noise that the Jot Script makes when hitting the screen from crossing T's, Dotting I's, Puncuation ect just annoyed the crap out of me. I do find that I have to add a little pressure to the Pro for it to work. But that is not all that noticeable since it is like the pressure that you apply with writing with a regualr pen.

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
Yeah it's a while to wait I agree.

As for the "best" one for writing though I would have to say that the smaller the point the better, at least until the iPad can't recognize it.

They sure are expensive for some of the newer ones, that you can't really get your hands on yet though.

Yes, only thing is that it's not out yet. The kickstarter campaign for it just ended and it say's 4-6 weeks delivery. That is 4-6 weeks after production has ended. It says shipping Jan 2014, but that is still 4-6 weeks for delievery. You are looking at Feb/March time frame. That is a VERY long time to go without a stylus if you really need one.

I got my Pro version on Black Friday (with the bonus case and paint brush tip) for $20. I thought that was reasonable to hold me over until the Apex comes out. This also gave me to opportunity to test their quality. I havn't used the paintbrush tip, since like myself I only take notes. The Pro version has the weight and thickness of a regular ballpoint pen. It has a really nice solid design. The tip is bit differnet since it is microfiber. It do not make any nose (like the Jot Script) when writing. The noise that the Jot Script makes when hitting the screen from crossing T's, Dotting I's, Puncuation ect just annoyed the crap out of me. I do find that I have to add a little pressure to the Pro for it to work. But that is not all that noticeable since it is like the pressure that you apply with writing with a regualr pen.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
There is not really one best stylus for writing because it comes down to a pairing between the stylus and the app, as well as personal preference. Do you have an app that you would like to use?

The best combination I have found so far is the Adonit Jot Touch and Goodnotes. The Touch is extremely accurate with no offset between the tip and what you are writing, and Goodnotes has excellent palm rejection meaning you can write full-screen as you would on a piece of paper without messing about with zoom boxes or manual palm rests.

I have the Adonit Jot Script that I just received today, and while it is great to not have the disc on the tip, the offset is huge. I find the writing feel (on an iPad Air) to be similar between the two. I'll probably hold on to the Script for a while yet to see if it can be improved further, but we'll see.

zmz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2013
There is not really one best stylus for writing because it comes down to a pairing between the stylus and the app, as well as personal preference. Do you have an app that you would like to use?

I use Notability.

rbarry

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2013

The best combination I have found so far is the Adonit Jot Touch and Goodnotes. The Touch is extremely accurate with no offset between the tip and what you are writing, and Goodnotes has excellent palm rejection meaning you can write full-screen as you would on a piece of paper without messing about with zoom boxes or manual palm rests.

I have the Adonit Jot Script that I just received today, and while it is great to not have the disc on the tip, the offset is huge. I find the writing feel (on an iPad Air) to be similar between the two. I'll probably hold on to the Script for a while yet to see if it can be improved further, but we'll see.

I'll second this pen/app combination. I use this exclusively, marking up PDF's of student-papers as well as annotating PDF's projected over Apple TV when I lecture, and this is the best combo for palm-rejection and flexibility of zooming. I don't even use the zoom-box anymore, as it's redundant when the screen only registers the tip of the Jot Touch for writing. It's not absolutely-perfectly foolproof, but it's the best out there (and I've tried just about everything).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.