Best Performing SSDs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by YoYoMa, Feb 27, 2011.

1. YoYoMa, Feb 27, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011

YoYoMa macrumors 6502

Looks like the best one at the moment is the Vertex 3. Anyone heard of anything that might be coming out in the next couple months that may be worth waiting for? What drives have you got your eyes on that may beat the Vertex 3 in either performance or value?

2. hoxley macrumors regular

next gen ssds

vertex 3 - available to preorder
    c400 - maybe within a month
    intel 510 - soonish.

dont know how these compare to cortez. but i will prob spring for a vertex 3 in a few months once any niggles are known.

3. Cèv, Feb 27, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011

Cèv macrumors newbie

Does the 13" Highend Model support the SATA III / 6GBps ?

thanks

4. YoYoMa thread starter macrumors 6502

Edited the original post to mention Vertex 3. The intel 510 is considerably slower than the vertex 3 and more expensive, correct? Is anything expected in the near future that will significantly outperform the vertex 3 or beat it substantially on price while still meeting most of it's performance?

5. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

When you take a look at the pricing of these next gen SSDs it makes a lot of sense to wait and see what happens in the next month. The Vertex 3 is nearly twice as fast as the Vertex 2 and it costs only $20 more. And who knows what Intel and Corsair have up their sleeves.

Its the wrong time to buy a SSD, I think.

6. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

I'm waiting on new updated drives from OWC. Too bad they don't give a release date because the wait is killing me right now >.<

7. Mojoz macrumors newbie

Just like Cèv asked: Is the 13" MacBook Pro capable of using a SSD like Vertex 3 with SATA III? (Both low and high end)

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Agreed. I would wait for the new Sandforce SF-2000 chip based drives coming out soon. Read this.

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I have the new 2011 13 MBP and system profiler shows the SATA HD connection supports 6 GB, although the OEM Hitachi drive is connected at 3GB.

10. aphxtwinin macrumors regular

didnt wanna make a new thread for this, if i ordered my mbp with an ssd, is it as easy to replace in the future if i had ordered the hdd??

11. nygfan80 macrumors regular

Yes, I did that. I already have OWC 120gb SSD in my other laptop so I ordered the MPB with the $90 upgrade. I also have a 500gb 5400rpm HD. I thought the $90 SSD was just too hard to pass up. Hopefully the prices of 256gb go down shortly so I can purchase one. I am going to switch OWC with the Apple one for now and put the one that originally came in the MBP in my Sony. I know it sounds confusing.

12. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

Thanks for the link. Dang, thursday was a fantastic day in the tech world. New MBP's, thunderbolt, SF-2000. Hopefully the SF-2000 based SSD's will have come down in price by the time summer and Lion get here.

13. KBS756 macrumors 6502a

Hey,

I had posted a question on my own thread but got no real responses

is a sandforce drive more reliable or is an intel drive more reliable?

also does intel have some form of garbage collection since Snow Leopard doesnt? (heard the sandforce do)

lastly will running a drive without garbage collection do irreversable damage? meaning that if down the road I were to get LION and (do some step to the drive) clean install lion on it would the degrading be undone? the kinda damage that supposedly happens without garage collection

anyway thx in advance if anyone can help answer this for me

14. StandardMeth0d macrumors member

StandardMeth0d

I can't answer your other question, but I have heard from forums and reviews and such that Intel drives are generally more reliable than SF drives (although slower).

As for the garbage collection question, SF drives do indeed have built-in GC (I'm 90% sure). Intel drives do not, so you would need TRIM to keep in tip top shape.