Best personal budgeting software?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nope7308, Mar 6, 2009.

1. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

I'm looking for a free personal budgeting program to balance my finances and plan for the rocky road ahead (grad school). Does anyone have any recommendations? My only real requirement is that I'm able to add categories/sub-categories for expenses/income (not too demanding). I gave Buddi a try, but I didn't like the layout and how it sub-categorized everything under it's own titles.

Thanks for the suggestions!

2. rockytimewarp macrumors newbie

I use a nifty little program called iCompta. It's pretty powerful and does exactly what it says it will. You can keep track of all your accounts in one place, and categorize all your expenses in categories and even color code them. Budgets are easy to set up, and if you want to, you can even connect to your online banking. It takes some getting used to since the register is more of a regular computer list than, say, a standard checkbook, but the ability to organize more than makes up for it.

It's freeware and, as with most open source, welcomes any donations if you so choose. Check it out.

iCompta

Phil

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I've heard decent reviews of Mint, which runs online.

4. nope7308 thread starter macrumors 65816

nope7308

Thanks for the suggestions... any others?

My 'needs', so to speak, are not that great. Truthfully, this program will function more as a reminder of how much debt I'm swimming in. Oh, the joys of being a student...

5. ddoonie macrumors regular

the best 'budgeting' software i have found is moneywell, the rest were just personal finance softwares...

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

+1 for Moneywell, although it is not free.

7. jamie.brwr macrumors newbie

jamie.brwr

I have searched high and low for years and iBank has been a god send to me. I have been using it nearly a year and still every time I use it I say "God I Love iBank" Check it out...

http://www.iggsoftware.com/ibank/

8. mynameisraj macrumors 6502

if you can take 40 bucks out of your budget, then get Cha-Ching. 2.0 is coming soon :)

Mint is great too

9. rock.ponting macrumors newbie

Most tools do work. But you have to choose them with care. You can find the online money management widgets at rudder.com. This site gives you the information you want and you can understand it easily without any complications. Rudder is what I use to manage my finances and the service is satisfactory.