Best personal database program?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by excalibur313, Oct 6, 2009.

1. excalibur313 macrumors 6502a

excalibur313

Hi Everyone,
    I am looking up different personal database programs. I would like something that I can drag in all my favorite websites, random notes, images to keep them organized. Ideally, I would like a way to have this integrated with some sort of calendar/to do so I can associate certain collections with due dates and stuff like that. There are an overwhelming number of applications that can do some of these things and I was curious if I could get advice on what you all use. Some I've seen are yojimbo, evernote, bento, together, thehitlist, etc. Being able to view this on the go would be great via an iphone application or dropbox.
    Thanks!
    Stephen

2. Blake the Great macrumors newbie

3. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

4. throttlemeister macrumors 6502a

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

6. excalibur313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

excalibur313

I was looking into bento and it seems like it can solve all my problems and possibly world hunger, but that it is kind of difficult to use. I don't see a trivial way to just drag in website links, text, pdfs and photos like you can with yojimbo can you? There probably is some template that allows this but I can't exactly find it and it isn't clear to me how I'd go about making it.

On a separate note, this seems like it would it would be insanely useful for making a lab notebook if I could figure it out. I've currently been making a spreadsheet in excel where rows refer to images that I take and others refer to cleaning processes or other things that don't generate data. It seems like if I could figure it out, I could have a spread sheet here where some of the entries would be synced up with pictures and that I could import them in a very efficient way to easily see all the data in front of me. Has anyone had experience with this?

I feel like this program could easily change my workflow substantially but the information I'm finding online for customizing it seems sparse.

Thanks a lot for any advice you can give!