Best Personal Finance apps for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by n8cas, Mar 29, 2008.

1. n8cas macrumors newbie

I'm new to Macs. Never used a personal finance program when I was a PC user, but it's time to find a great application that'll help me out. When I look online, most of what I read says, Quicken is much better than anything out there. I go to look for the Mac version only to read the worst reviews I've ever read about a prospective program/application. I've researched the new Quicken online, but I'm not sure it's for me. Quicken still has yet to come out with Mac 2008 - who knows when that'll happen. So what application should I use? Am I in the right forum for this question?

For someone new to a Mac is this the right website for these types of questions?

2. n8cas thread starter macrumors newbie

does iBank direct download from online bank websites and can you incorporate personal investment funds as well?

3. Slumbercub macrumors regular

Depending on what level of involvement and use you require there are several options. I used to use iBank and it is without doubt a fantastic application. In recent times my needs are much simpler and I only have need for a simple ledger, for that use nothing comes close to Checkbook 2 Pro.

Other options here:

http://www.pure-mac.com/finance.html

4. MACboyet macrumors newbie

MACboyet

I use moneywell for mac and iphone..

i use checkbook before but it seems like something is missing

5. Zman1021 macrumors newbie

Zman1021

Give iBank a try at http://www.iggsoftware.com/ibank/index.php. I had been a Quicken user for years on PC and looked hard for a non Intuit product for my finances once I switched to a MAC in 2008. iBank has worked well for me for both checking and investments.

HZ

6. walshlink macrumors regular

7. thatdrewguy macrumors regular

Did you ever find an answer to this question and what software did you end up using? I'm also looking for a new mac finance application to replace quicken on the PC.

8. cerote macrumors 6502a

cerote

iBank lets you connect to banks, credit, and investments to direct download statements.

I use it to balance my totals to my bank account daily with a push of a button.

9. barrief macrumors newbie

iBank also has iBank Mobile at the app store for use with the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch if you like to keep track on the go.

10. Koll macrumors member

11. blue22 macrumors 6502

blue22

please share any insights...

Does anyone have experience using GnuCash??? If so, what are the pros & cons of using this particular application?

12. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

I've been using Quicken Essentials for the Mac and I am quite pleased with that. I read a lot of bad reviews about Quicken Essentials, but decided to get it after trying iBank, PocketMoney and a few others. Being familiar with Quicken, I decided to buy that and I really do like it. It may not have all the features that my Quicken 2010 Premiere did on the PC, but I don't need all those extra features. Quicken handles all my finances just great.

13. iMerik macrumors 6502

14. thepominlaw macrumors member

Me too, tried iBank but it have never managed to get it to download from Barclays

15. mjs42, Jul 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2011

mjs42 macrumors newbie

Pros:
    - Double entry bookkeeping (some may see this tedium as a con)
    - Stable and accurate bookkeeping
    - Register entry is easy without a lot of pointer movement (keyboard centric)
    - Account flexibility
    - Runs on Mac/Windows/Linux, although as of today there is a bug on Lion
    - Online banking
    - Free

Cons:
    - Non-native Mac app
    - Primitive reports
    - Report language is Scheme -- not very modern
    - No native export of transaction data into any format (e.g., QIF, CSV)

I currently use GnuCash on a Linux machine and have been reasonably happy with it. However, I don't look forward to migrating to another piece of software since GnuCash does not export in a standard format. But the reporting capabilities do not meet my needs.

I have looked at the alternatives I have seen elsewhere on this list and each one of them has their own fatal flaws. I'm not sure that any have swayed me away from GnuCash. I suspect that many of them use GnuCash -- or at least the concepts -- as the foundation of their bookkeeping code.

I hope this helps...

I was reading on their support forums that they do not support more than two digits for recording the number of shares. Have you found this to be true?