Best phone for a student? Curve or T-mobile Dash

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Shackler, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

I will be going to uni. this year and i want to know what the best phone would be for me. I love blackberry's but the function sid eof the dash seems to make more sense. I would nned for messeging, light emails, editing doc'ts on the bus, organizing scheudule and all th other basic uses (music, pics, calls etc.)
    Compatibility with Mac is also meccessary.

What would be the best phone?
    Any sites that have comparisons or reveiws would help. or even some other forums that i could ask this question.

2. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

3. Shackler thread starter macrumors 6502a

Shackler

Not an option for me as i live in Canada. nor do i want it.

4. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

No, that's where you are wrong. You want and need an iPhone. Just wait till you have one for a day, you will be amazed.

5. Shackler thread starter macrumors 6502a

Shackler

That where you're wrong i have many friends with iphones and have had many opportunities to get an iphone. i just dont want one.

curve or dash?

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

how did i know someone was going to suggest this before i opened the thread. the op SPECIFICALLY asked about his 2 choices...

7. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

You cannot get anymore compatible than the iPhone. Hands down winner :D

8. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

He specifically said no iphone yet people keep telling him to get one, apple fan boys

Yeah but i would say the Curve, my mate has one of those and he goes to uni and he seems to have no problems with it

9. Theatrics macrumors member

Well... The Dash has windows mobile so i would definitely go for the BlackBerry Curve.

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

lol just this brn2ski00 person you mean

11. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

Well yeah that guy, massive fan boy, not cool

12. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

How is an Apple Fan Boy not cool?!?!?!? :apple: 4 Life

13. Shackler thread starter macrumors 6502a

Shackler

if iphone could run office apps it would be my first and only choice trust me.

14. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

well i'm a uni student and have a BB pearl. I love it. I'd have it since Thanksgiving and now i don't think i could live without it. I do light emails to my professors and my parents, friends and my boss. There are two different options for service one is if your behind an enterprize and the other is more personal use. Setting it up with my school email and dot mac mail was simple i just typed in my user name and password and it was all set up.
    Only downfall to the BB is that you really need desktop manager (only windows) to do the rare updates and sometimes to install software where OTA isn't available. Other then that pocket mac syncs with ical and address book. Other then that BB all the way!

15. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

The BlackBerry Curve is a thing of beauty. I have the Pearl, and my son just got the Curve. I want one. Bad. I'm holding out for the next iteration of the BlackBerry before I do anything, though. Hopefully the 9000 series will surprise everyone and give the iPhone a run for its money. If not, I may have to jump on the bandwagon as well. For now though, the Curve kills the Dash, IMHO.

16. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Why not go for the Wing? It's pretty much an upgraded Dash (it has a touch screen o_O). And I wouldn't worry about WM and Mac compatibilty - download SyncMate. It's a free WM to OSX syncing app :D I'm actually typing thiis from my Wing :p (and download Opera Mini 4 for whatever phone you get)

17. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

Easily, you just ruin apple :(

18. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

Just wait until you start your career after Uni. I dread the day I have a work issued Blackberry! :D

19. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Apple Communication Device: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Anybody mention iPhone?

20. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Neither. I'm a college student, and I've had both a BlackBerry and Windows Mobile phone, and found them too distracting in class. I was always surfing the web or doing other crap on it during class instead of paying attention. I switched to a Sony Ericsson w580i and found myself using it a lot less in class (I kept the data and text plan, so I still use it more often than I should, but I can't do as much web surfing on it due to the small screen and crappy browser). I'd recommend getting a non-smart phone for college, most of them can handle scheduling and whatnot (My phone has a calendar and tasks). Save the smart phone for after college, unless you have REALLY good self control, and judging by the number other students I see playing with their phones in class, self control is nonexistent in students.

21. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Nice.

People like you ruin Apple. Sorry for suggesting the iPhone.

22. Shackler thread starter macrumors 6502a

Shackler

So...Blackberry seems the best.
    what if iPhone comes to Canada? ill be so depressed

23. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Nah, it's just an electronic. Plus you'll be looking to upgrade that BB in a year, year and a half. :D

24. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

25. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I'd imagine that he doesn't want a phone that's restricted and locked down, and lacking basic features like a replaceable battery and MMS