Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rangomango

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2012
Figured I would start a fun thread about phones you think are the "best" but have the worst resale value.

Of course many of these will be opinions but my vote goes to...

The droid ultra, can be found for under $150, has great software and a decent camera.

LorPGDL

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2011
well i just bought an htc one m8 in glacial silver with 2 small scratches for 350 € off of ebay

i dont know exactly what the introduction price was but i think 650 so 300 after a couple of months pretty bad.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
16GB iPhone 3GS only worth $5 according to AT&T, but is going for around $65 on eBay.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Figured I would start a fun thread about phones you think are the "best" but have the worst resale value.

Of course many of these will be opinions but my vote goes to...

The droid ultra, can be found for under $150, has great software and a decent camera.
To be honest, I believe pretty much any flagship that's not an iPhone qualifies for this moniker.

Visionblue

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2013
To be honest, I believe pretty much any flagship that's not an iPhone qualifies for this moniker.

That's not necessarily true anymore. The nexus 5 is still reselling in a $50 margin of its original price. Same goes for the M8 and even the m7 can still fetch a pretty penny for a two year old phone.

I'd say CDMA phones lose their value much quicker than GSM varients. It seems a lot of flagships from Verizon and sprint can be worth 50-100 less.

Also the iPhone 5 lost a lot of value when they discontinued it in favor of the 5c. The iPhone 4 was worth way more at this point in its life cycle. Swappa has plenty of att varients listed for less than 230!

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
That's not necessarily true anymore. The nexus 5 is still reselling in a $50 margin of its original price. Same goes for the M8 and even the m7 can still fetch a pretty penny for a two year old phone.

I'd say CDMA phones lose their value much quicker than GSM varients. It seems a lot of flagships from Verizon and sprint can be worth 50-100 less.

Also the iPhone 5 lost a lot of value when they discontinued it in favor of the 5c. The iPhone 4 was worth way more at this point in its life cycle. Swappa has plenty of att varients listed for less than 230!

No, I think it's a pretty spot on statement. iPhones retain value much better than any android phone; justified or not.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
LG G2 can be found now for 270€, and G3 for 340€. I've seen this prices on other forums.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Z10 was like $700 at release, and it went down to $200 new already months ago because of excess inventory (BlackBerry wrote off $1,000,000,000).

There are not many new left for sale, as a lot of people grabbed them at the reduced prices.

It will not happen again with the new CEO, as his strategy is very strict about inventory management.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.