Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Turnpike

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
New York City!
Is there a clear choice if I'm looking for the best photo editing app for iPad Pro...? In my case I'm:

-willing to learn. So feature-rich and pro grade apps are great. I will put effort into learning the features.
-price doesn't matter. I prefer to avoid subscriptions, but over all the price or purchase price doesn't matter.
-I'm interested to find something that does the best job possible, and if the Mac version is much better, I'd even switch to that.

Thanks in advance for your input. I always thought Photoshop was the clear winner, but I see a few videos on other programs here and there and not sure anymore, especially when an iPad is involved.

USAntigoon

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2008
Rochester Hills, MI
Pixelmator Photo is designed for iOS 13 and up..Runs $7.99 in the App Store.. It seems to have quite some adjustment features. Just read the "features" .. quite impressive for the price..

tlnargi

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2019
Do you want just an editor or a DAM as well? If both Lightroom is the winner.

Next up would be Darkroom.

If just an editor perhaps Affinity Photo would work well.

Reactions: kenoh

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
Dam type software Lightroom hands down. Pixelmator photo next.
Editing software Affinity Photo, and photoshop on the iPad is still lagging but starting to become a viable option.

skyhawkmatthew

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2007
Australia
I usually use Pixelmator Photo for most general editing and touch-ups, and Affinity Photo for more complex work or compiling HDRs and panoramas.

Turnpike

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
New York City!
I don't collaborate with anyone else, and the edits are for either myself (to use in a demonstration, online posting, something for sale, that kind of thing...) I'm surprised that I don't see more Photoshop related stuff mentioned as the main go-to app.

Thanks for the suggestions! Some of these I would have never thought to explore.

squawk7000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2021
Scotland
I think the reason for non photoshop recommendations is the Adobe's subscription model.
Another reason is photoshop has only been ported to iPadOS in the last couple of years and the feature set still hasn't caught up with the desktop version.

Reactions: Joe D33

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
I think the reason for non photoshop recommendations is the Adobe's subscription model.
Another reason is photoshop has only been ported to iPadOS in the last couple of years and the feature set still hasn't caught up with the desktop version.
That's the exact reason why I not longer use the Adobe CC apps. I spent a lot of money on Adobe CS5 and CS6 before Adobe decided to not support these apps any longer.

To the OP: I hear great things about Affinity Photo for the iPad. Perhaps you should read the reviews about the numerous photo-editing apps at the Apple Store. You will have to decide if you want to pay monthly fees for one of the apps, or just to buy a "standalone" app that you pay for up front.

Reactions: Turnpike

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Wales
I have affinity on the iMac and picked up the iOS version in a 1/2 price sale. I prefer to use the iOS version with the pen on the iPad Pro, it is a sweet combination.
They have very good tutorials and a dedicated forum to ask questions or browse others asks. Other freebies are available on their website I think, brushes and so on (?) it will be on their web site.

I left PS years ago with their constant need more money updates(I was using elements at the time and buy one year, need to update again for the new options a year later), Affinity seem to last for ages before a major update requiring investment. To date I have paid once.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.