Best photo software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by pewie, Oct 22, 2011.

1. pewie macrumors newbie

Hi,

What is the best and easiest photo software out for Macs? Want to be use it on both my desktop and Macbook pro. Also want to be able to storage the photos on a network drive (either TC or off my AE).

Appreciate anyone thoughts or advice :)

2. simsaladimbamba

3. pewie thread starter macrumors newbie

Mainly managing but with a bit of editing occasionally !

4. marc11 macrumors 68000

Anything in paticular you do not like about iPhoto?

5. simsaladimbamba

Is iPhoto not enough? The library can be stored on a network drive.

I personally am very fond of Lightroom, but there is alsp Aperture.
    And the best is depending on your needs and how you think.
    There have also been dozens of threads about the "best photo management software", maybe you can find some.

6. pewie thread starter macrumors newbie

Working with iphoto '09 on my desktop and iPhoto '11 on my mac book pro. Tried to change libraries on my macbook pro to my network drive where I had copied all my iPhoto library (ex desktop) but it would not work. '09 and '11 have a different folder set up. I have read changing to '11 from '09 is a nightmare !:eek:

Do not want any hassles.

----------

Hi,

Please see my reply back on this issues. Heard big problems changing from '09 to '11 :eek::eek::eek:

7. marc11 macrumors 68000

I upgraded from '09 to '11 without issue, but of course there is always the potential for problems. It would be easy enough to copy all your picture masters to your network drive, not your library the masters, upgrade and if the library became corrupted just import the masters into a new library. If the upgrade went well, just delete the master copies.

8. pewie thread starter macrumors newbie

Many thanks for the advice. Of course I could use iPhoto that would be best option. I might give it a go. It is just that I have heard so much bad result from upgrading.

Cheers

9. jsm4182 macrumors 6502

There were some problems when iPhoto '11 first came out, they have since been fixed. Just to be safe you should always back up the iPhoto library before upgrading.

10. marc11 macrumors 68000

Off topic but hey jsm4182, I am in your Orange County back yard, small world eh?

11. JerryFn macrumors newbie

Ease of use.

I have Aperture,
    Photoshop,
    IPhoto,
    and Picasa

Aperture is excellent for editing, though not anything like as complete as PS.
    Good value but runs with a large memory load and can run (very) slow. (search for 'Aperture Slow' and you will see the problems). The new upgrade to 3.2 is very much better, but it still has bugs.
    The archive is rather clunky, projects and folders, a tendency to duplicate files.
    I never use I photo so can't comment.

The best simple archive photo editor is Google Picasa, brilliant face recognition, and archiving. Non destructive editing so you can always return to the master photo. You can build lots of customized albums from folders. Easy simple editing with all the basics covered. Good Web and publishing tools. Very easy to use and browse through a large archive.
    Best of all 'free'..... a no brainer. Unless your prejudiced and locked into an Apple love affair.
    Just take care to select the folders it archives otherwise it will display images from all the files on your HD. Just set it to search your default 'Photo or Picture' location.

12. BadaBing!! macrumors 6502

BadaBing!!

13. nature2244 macrumors newbie

iPhoto is good, but limited.

If you anticipate doing more advanced photography and corresponding editing/management in the future, I suggest moving away from iPhoto and Aperture, to Lightroom and Photoshop (also works with Photoshop Elements), because of the tight integration, large library size, flexible key wording and industry adoption.

My main library has over 60K images and is still speedy. My key word list has over 250 entries on up to five levels of nesting which allows me to find images fast.

You will also find more instruction, hints, articles on Photoshop/Elements over Aperature, if that is important to you.

Just my experience as a long time Mac user and nature photographer.

14. McRCN macrumors regular

I use Aperture. Not very expensive at $79 in the Mac App Store.