Best Photography App of 2010

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by DB24, Dec 18, 2010.

1. DB24 macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

What is the best photo app of 2010?

2. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

The "best" is totally relative to individual perspective and definition.

The most useful and fun app for me in 2010 was Hipstamatic. I've likely taken hundreds of shots I wouldn't have otherwise just to see how Hipstamatic would render them. Given the last-gen specs of the iPhone 4's optics, plus that annoying green blob thing under fluorescents, it makes for a great app, turning limitations into an art form.

3. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Tough call. I use Camera +, Color Splash, and sometimes Adobe mostly. Those 3 would be the top of my list.

4. bdenge macrumors member

I really like Pano. It works much better than i had expected. I takes great outdoor panoramic shots.

5. wyneken macrumors regular

+1 for Hipstamatic. Did you see the front-page spread of Hipsta photos from Afghanistan in the NY Times? It looked like the photographer was using the Helga lens and Blanko film, though a couple of pics might have been John S. The photographer said that using an iPhone seemed to make the soldiers less self-conscious about been photographed, since they all take cell phone pictures all the time anyway.

If I had to choose one app other Hipstamatic, I've probably gotten the most use out of Lo-Mob for processing shots made with the built-in Camera app.

6. SL4VE macrumors 6502

Hipstamatic by farrrrr

ColorSplash is awesome but about 3 years old...

7. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

No, I didn't but would love to...have a link?

I've never been big on snapshots. Most of my camera shots have been special occasion things....kids growing up, etc. I'm just not that creative.

This is what I love about Hipstamatic....it encourages experimentation and taking pics of ordinary, everyday things just because it can produce extraordinary results. Its encouraged me to have fun when I'm otherwise just idling time waiting at airports, shopping, walking between meetings in distant towns or just hanging with the family. No other application got as much use this year than Hipstamatic. I am really enthralled with the thing.

8. wyneken, Dec 19, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2010

wyneken macrumors regular

Here's the main NYT story, with photos:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/22/world/asia/22grunts.html?_r=1

A brief interview with the photographer about why he used Hipstamatic instead of a DSLR:

http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/11/21/finding-the-right-tool-to-tell-a-war-story/

And a shot of the front page of the print edition:

http://twitpic.com/3989ei

Now that I'm seeing the pics again, it looks like the film is Ina's 35, and the main lens used seems to be John S.

I just came in from a walk in the Maine woods, taking pictures with the Toy Camera app. Though more limited, it's good in the same sense as Hipstamatic -- which you've articulated very well -- for creating remarkable photos of ordinary subjects.

9. DB24 thread starter macrumors newbie

10. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

Didn't Camera + get pulled because of an undocumented tethering feature? I've heard so many positive things about it and have been hoping it would be reinstated.

11. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

Camera + is still not available, I wonder if it'll ever be back in the app store.

12. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

It wasn't tethering, it was the ability to activate the volume buttons as your shutter control. A HUGE feature I wish Apple would open up for all the camera apps.

13. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

Thanks for the clarification! I got that one confused with the flashlight app that added tethering.

14. JASApplications macrumors 65816

+1 I too like Hipstamatic, however I also like ProCamera. This guy did a review of it. It is basically a much more advanced version of the normal camera app.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlGkN-j5UQE

15. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Are there any apps for long exposure? Has anybody tried Penki?

16. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

I have Pro Camera also. I actually am not a big fan of it but as I've stated...I'm definitely not a pro, so maybe that's why LOL.

17. ajohnson253, Dec 19, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2010

ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

18. theautopilot macrumors 6502a

theautopilot

Anyone know what lens/film he used with Hipstamatic?

19. teski macrumors regular

It is back now.