best photoshop alternative? free?

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by jamays00, Feb 5, 2009.

1. jamays00 macrumors member

hey guys looking for a free... or much cheaper alternative to photoshop.
    I know there is Gimp/GimpShop... anyone tried out Pixelmator, it looks quite nice.

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

Buy a Wacom graphic tablet. Adobe Photoshop Elements is bundled for "free" in the box with the tablet. If you don't need the tablet Elements is only about $80.

3. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Pixelmator is good but I think even elements is better.

4. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

I agree, but give Pixelmator a few years and it should be much better.

5. opeter macrumors 65816

opeter

Try Photoline. Quite powerfull for what it costs. Much more feature rich than Pixelmator. The only drawback is the UI. But if you once get, how to use it, it will serve you quite good.

6. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

I have no doubt about that, but by then Adobe could do a massive rehaul of elements.

OP: If i were you I would get pixelmator, It has some nice filters and effects. The program is always getting more features.

7. JasonElise1983 macrumors 6502a

JasonElise1983

i would go with pixelmator. it's cheap and pretty awesome really. i have photoshop but there are sometimes and somethings, that i just WANT to use pixelmator for. I mean, i don't know why, just want to use it. it's nice.

-je

8. jamays00 thread starter macrumors member

thanks the all the advice... I downloaded the trail of pixelmator last night and I am quite impressed, I plan on purchasing it ($60). I don't need everything photoshop offers, I mostly use it to make textures, backdrop images, and touch ups of renders. The biggest problem that I can see is the lack of typography features... by lack of I mean none. But other than that this program is very easy to use, has a very pretty interface and runs extremely fast.

9. eleven2brett macrumors regular

I always liked Gimp and used it for a long time before i found a really cheap copy of PS on ebay. when i first got my Apple i installed gimp (b/c my copy of PS was windows) and thought it ran a little slow and buggy, but it is still a really good software.

10. claimed4all macrumors 6502

A vote here for Pixelmator.
    Its not free but very good. Another item is that it is very fast and a small footprint compared to the alternatives. They update it very often too.

11. Kwill macrumors 68000

Kwill

Considering the fact that the UI is the means of interacting with the program, that's a pretty significant caveat.

12. NorCal-Cyclist macrumors newbie

I've used Acorn and it's not a bad option. I think it's either free or cheap shareware (ie donation requested). Photoshop Elements is my favorite if you're going to pay - worlds better than iPhoto IMHO

13. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Photoshop Elements.... nice software but a bit old....

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Is it with the next version that they're planning on re-achieving feature/release parity between Windows and OS X? That would make things a lot better... they need to end this process of having the Mac version be a cycle or two behind the Windows version.

Granted that PSE6 is a year old and Pixelmator 1.3 is only a few months old, PSE6 rides on top of a much longer development process with Photoshop. If you went back a version or two in CS, I don't think anyone would argue that Pixelmator is better than Photoshop CS because it's newer. It does have a much prettier interface, and they have caught up somewhat in features.

15. mogzieee macrumors 6502a

Pixelmator does pretty much the same as Photoshop for a basic to moderate user.

Take a look at the screenshots of the toolbars for both of the software... pretty much the same.

Attached Files:

• haa.jpg
      haa.jpg
      File size:
      77.3 KB
      Views:
  16. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Yep.... most probably and guess it'll be PSE8! They wont bother with porting the version 7.. Poor of Adobe...
    Photoshop whether the full version or in its elements avatar will always remain photoshop.... with a mightily more powerful engine and amazing flexibility!

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You're stating that Pixelmator has the same functionality as PS for moderate users... based on what's in the standard toolbar... are you joking or serious? :confused: This is like observing that my apartment and the White House both have a door, windows, and a toilet. Hardly any of the useful features in Photoshop are in the standard toolbar.

18. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Not to be rude but LOL...

Beautifully answered...

19. mogzieee macrumors 6502a

Quite true. I agree in many ways.

I'd just say that these aren't really tools you find in Microsoft Paint if thats what anyone thinks Pixelmator is all about. I'm a moderate Photoshop / Pixelmator user, and all the functions I use in PS, like gradients, masks, layers, effects, filters, etc etc can all be done in Pixelmator too, easily, in a more user friendly way.

For a professional user, things are totally different - 3D for example.

20. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

All right, all right, I'll stop being snarky. :p Pixelmator has come a long way. When I first tried it, I thought it was pretty but useless, because it lacked even basic features I'd need every time I edited a photo. I don't think that's true anymore. I do think that PSE provides better value for money, but continued development and use of Pixelmator is a really good thing for the community (just like the fabulous and free Paint.NET really raises the bar in the Windows world).

21. jashsayani macrumors regular

jashsayani

22. EmperorDarius macrumors 6502a

IMO Photoshop is the best however as an alternative you could try the GIMP.

23. SteveG4Cube macrumors 6502

Seashore is free and works well for basic stuff.

24. superwoman macrumors regular

Seashore doesn't seem to be very well maintainted. The last release was 0.1.9, and that was over Apr 2007!

Seriously, what's wrong with Gimp?

25. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

The Gimp has a Horrible Interface, and it doesn't handle large files very well.