Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

atMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 20, 2011
I'm redoing an early 09 Air for my mom. the current SSD has over 900 power cycles and over 9000 hrs on it. So I'd like to put in a fresh one. Where can I get a decent 120GB SSD for it and not break my wallet?

checkitout

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2009
I'm redoing an early 09 Air for my mom. the current SSD has over 900 power cycles and over 9000 hrs on it. So I'd like to put in a fresh one. Where can I get a decent 120GB SSD for it and not break my wallet?

Both the number of powerups and the number of hours under power are irrelevant for an SSD. Do you have data like the following?

"Total Count of Read Sectors",
"Total Count of Write Sectors",
"Total Count of Read Commands",
"Total Count of Write Commands",
"Total Count of Error Bits from Flash",
"Total Count of Read Sectors with Cor",
"Bad Block Full Flag",
"Maximum PE Count Specification",
"Minimum Erase Count",
"Maximum Erase Count",
"Average Erase Count",
"Remaining Drive Life (Percent)"

Apart from that, OWC works great for a MBA2. Once you get over the dual sticker shock (the one from the price and then the one from the fact that you mount the drive using double-sided adhesive), it works really well and is reasonably fast. The trick they are playing is that they supply a new cable along with the drive, so there is no tinkering with the strange LIF connector the MBA2 employed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.