Best place for iPhone 3G replacement screen?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Joony, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Joony macrumors regular

Just doing a normal search on eBay for 'iphone 3g glass' comes up with so many results. An entire replacement kit can be had for under $20 bucks for the glass/digitizer combo + tools.

That seems a bit too good to be true? Are they shoddy generic glass that aren't made nearly as good as Apple OEM spec? Is the digitizer worse?

I was looking at the iFixit.com guide: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/Installing-iPhone-3G-Front-Panel/587/1

They had their own kit for $60, but it doesn't say it is OEM, it could very well be the same cheap ones from eBay.

Thoughts on where to get a screen that is just as good as OEM? or are the cheap eBay ones good enough?

I did a few searches and I hope this isn't a repost!

2. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

I run a repair shop in the UK and purchase everything direct from a wholesaler in China. I did previously purchase from another retail store in the UK but have never purchased the glass/digitizers off eBay.

As long as they say 100% OEM in the description they will be fine. You can usually tell by the digitizer connector ribbon having 'APPLE' written on it in white. Obviously you wont be able to check this until you get it but for $20 you can't go wrong. Due to eBays terms and conditions, if the item is not OEM (some cheap copy) then you will be able to report it to eBay and if you paid via Paypal you will be able to get your money back.
    You can only do this if it's listed as OEM but it's not. Not if it's not listed as OEM at all and it's not.

Hope this helps.