Best place or website to buy an iMac G3?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by TRUCRACKER, Jun 5, 2010.

1. TRUCRACKER macrumors 6502

TRUCRACKER

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Check pawn shops. There's bound to be an idiot pawn broker in your area that had one brought into him and didn't think to check out how powerful it was, bought it for $100, and is now desperate to get rid of it.

I just love how stupid people can be. They see an iMac and no matter how old it is, they assume it's modern.

3. kbfr08 macrumors 6502

Found a few cool macs at pawn shops, the prices there weren't so great. I've actually picked up a G3 tower from the side of the road before. Other than that, I'd check goodwill - you never know what they have.

4. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

The thrift shop near where I live had a slot-loading blue iMac for 30 bucks. You might try looking at such a place.

5. jparenti macrumors newbie

Sometimes, school districts will be upgrading and getting rid of old iMacs. I'm typing this right now on a snow iMac G3 600 MHz with 10.4.11 that my landlord gave me for free. He got it from someone he knows that takes them off the local school's hands. Some places have rules that don't allow school-property computer equipment to be sold, however, so YMMV. Sometimes the ones that can't sell them will be willing to give them away. More than one person I know has gotten a Mac that way.
    As far as websites go, I'm seriously considering buying an eMac from an eBay seller. Just makes sure they have a DOA policy, good reviews, and shipping that isn't horridly inflated.

6. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Except he's going to be asking $130 for it so he doesn't lose money. I would suggest checking out garage sales and estate sales.

7. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

Um, you can buy them on Craigslist for $20 each, all day long.

10 seconds of surfing found me this-

Apple iMac G3 Model M5521 - $50 (Chandler)

500MHZ
    512MB
    20GB
    CD-RW
    OS X 10.4.11

Here's another 450Mhz for $40-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. TRUCRACKER thread starter macrumors 6502

TRUCRACKER

Maybe in your area not mine.

9. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

That's what I try to tell people, too, but they insist that it is not my location, but that I'm, quote, "Doing it wrong!"

XD

10. TRUCRACKER thread starter macrumors 6502

TRUCRACKER

Haha exactly people need to understand that there's many area's in the world lol.

11. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Seriously? Hold up, let me check my world map:

[​IMG]

12. SteveG4Cube macrumors 6502

What are you looking for specifically? Working or not? Slot loading or tray? Something you can actually use for mail and web surfing or just a collection piece? Color preference? What part of VA are you from? I've got a bunch of G3 iMacs and I may get rid of a few.

13. wjlafrance macrumors 6502

If you post your general location, someone here will know someone within a 30 minute drive wanting to get rid of one. :)

14. mitchellpk123 macrumors newbie

The iMac's firmware is stored on the same card that holds the CPU and memory chips.Then update the firmware in the other iMac.When the Mac didn't anything at all,I played with the memory.Put out a slat en placed another.The the Mac start up from hard disk,but no screen.

15. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC