Best place to buy 8800GT?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ouphe, Feb 14, 2008.

1. ouphe macrumors regular

So I bought my new Jan 2008 Mac Pro and now I'm trying to find a 8800GT video card for it.

Looking at the Apple store, it lists 5-7 weeks as the shipping time, and it sells for $350.

My question is this: where can I find it sooner, and where can I find it cheaper?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Nowhere and nowhere. Same price/shipping across the board. The board at this point is Apple and Small Dog Electronics.

3. ouphe thread starter macrumors regular

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I'm in the same boat as you, but mine'll be in addition to the 8800 I'm getting with my Mac Pro. Two 8800 GT for the win!

Small Dog's 8800 seems backordered, but that's not much different that the unstated condition at Apple...

5. astudentis macrumors regular

6. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

7. SPUY767 macrumors 68000

SPUY767

That's not entirely accurate. They will work, and work quite well. You have to use a 12V adapter to go from the 4 pin that's vacant if you don't have a 2nd optical drive to the 6 pin that the card requires, and you can play mad games in windows. On a side note, if you're going to buy a gaming card to run in Boot Camp, buy make sure it's an EVGA. My 1.5 year old 7900GTX started going wonky on me and showing some blue artifacts in games that I would play, I got an RMA from them, and no questions asked they replaced my card. Since the 7900GTX has been end of lifed, and the 8800GT is on Back order, I got an 8800GTS 512 SSC.

8. SPUY767 macrumors 68000

SPUY767

None of the PC cards will Function under the MacOS without serious work. When boot camp boots up, the BIOS emulation built into EFI tells the card to boot up, so you can use a PC graphics card under windows with no modificaiton whatsoever. When you boot into MacOS, the EFI doesn't send a signal to the card so it just sits there idle, you'll be able to see it in your system analyzer, but it won't be able to do anything unless you were to flash the bios on the card using an EFI compatible bios and find the correct drivers for that card.

9. mojopixel macrumors 6502

mojopixel

I think Apple have bought all of the 8800GT graphics cards so you have to get it from them or an authorized reseller and the price will be pretty much the same

10. IC3D macrumors regular

IC3D

I'm thinking of getting one of these as well. Sucks about the wait!