Best Place to buy a iPhone 5s Battery

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Kerry78, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Kerry78 macrumors regular

Kerry78

Got a used 5s a couple of weeks ago but the battery has had it when switched on it can be 77% one min then 1% and off the next it’s very unstable

The screen on it doesn’t look like a genuine apple one, it has light blotches on it as a result of fall or other damage, besides apple wouldn’t touch it with a bargpole if I did ask so was wondering where would’ve the best online retailer who could supply a OEM that works?

The phone is only to be used as a iPod and a spare phone if needed but I can’t get out the front door to do anything with it till the battery issue is resolved!

Appreciate help below

Thanks ;)

2. Kerry78 thread starter macrumors regular

Kerry78

3. Ruggy macrumors member

Apple. Make an appointment at the store and they will change it for you for a maximum of $49 and if you are lucky, in under 2 hours. If they break anything in changing the battery, they will fix it, it's a genuine part and at best you'll only save $20 doing it yourself.

4. Kerry78, Feb 8, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2019

Kerry78 thread starter macrumors regular

Kerry78

The display isn’t a genuine apple one it looks like it’s coming away slightly over the top so apple wouldn’t touch the phone I know this as I had my 7 done before Christmas and they told me this luckily my battery was apple one that had gone rogue lol apple just won’t touch there devices with non apple parts installed lol

Thanks anyway ;)

5. AJClayton macrumors 6502

AJClayton

I'm interested in this query too. My mother-in-law has my old iPhone 5s and the battery isn't what it used to be, not surprisingly.

I may be wrong but I don't think Apple supply batteries for such an old phone. It's the iPhone 6 or later advertised on their support pages.

I'm in the UK so any advice needs to be relevant to this side of the pond. Thanks in advance and apologies to the thread starter for hijacking your topic. ;)

6. Kerry78 thread starter macrumors regular

Kerry78

lol no problem I’m in the UK too so it will help both of us :D

I know there’s a few uk sites that sell battery’s but it’s just getting the correct one, I’ve bought a 4s battery from mobymemory once and it just didn’t charge all the way to 100% so I sent it back and got a refund oh and I had my details stolen and my bank account had £30 removed out of it luckily my bank was lovely about it and sorted it out!

7. AJClayton macrumors 6502

AJClayton

Yikes! That doesn't sound like fun.

TBH I'm a bit wary of getting a battery that isn't official because there's lots of rubbish out there. It's bad enough with cables, but a battery is a bit more burn-your-house-down-explody in nature.

Sorry about UK confusion. I saw the reply from someone about iFixIt and just assumed it was US based thread. I'll clean my glasses next time.

8. Kerry78 thread starter macrumors regular

Kerry78

Yes I totally agree there’s a lot of cheap battery’s on eBay but it’s not recommended to go through them!

I bought a 4s battery from a ok company but I can’t remember it’s name this was a couple of years ago!

Not tried iFixit look ok prices not to bad but have to look up the reviews, but looking to find one more at home just in case of a problem with it hope you manage to sort something for urs if you source anywhere please let me know

Thanks ;)

9. AJClayton macrumors 6502

AJClayton

Will do. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

10. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

I believe Apple changed their rules recently so that if your phone has a third-party screen, they'll still work on it. If it's the battery or any other part then they won't touch it with a 10-foot pole.