Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sixxmum

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2010
My teen daughter wants to buy herself an iPhone. She currently carries and iPod Touch and her cell phone - that is only 8 months old - everywhere she goes, and wants to reduce that to one device. Of course, we still have a year + on the contract, so we can't get a phone through ATT. She's fine with a used one, but is nervous about being taken for a ride on the purchase. What sites are best for purchase of used iPhones?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I would keep an eye on the marketplace forum here or Craigslist. With CL though, I'd want to have a laptop handy so I can be sure I can activate it. Perhaps meet at an Apple store or something.

Z8beema

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2013
Mass.
I would keep an eye on the marketplace forum here or Craigslist. With CL though, I'd want to have a laptop handy so I can be sure I can activate it. Perhaps meet at an Apple store or something.

Where is the marketplace?

----------

My teen daughter wants to buy herself an iPhone. She currently carries and iPod Touch and her cell phone - that is only 8 months old - everywhere she goes, and wants to reduce that to one device. Of course, we still have a year + on the contract, so we can't get a phone through ATT. She's fine with a used one, but is nervous about being taken for a ride on the purchase. What sites are best for purchase of used iPhones?

Buying used is scary now. If the original owner ever stops paying for the phone (whether there on a payment plan or on a contract plan) the phone gets black listed and you can only use it overseas

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
When buying used, make sure that the previous owner turns off "Find My iPhone" to avoid the activation lock issues that people are having when buying a used iOS device.

If you have an iPhone, you can buy yourself a new one (I would wait for the updated iPhone 6) and then pass your iPhone to your daughter.

gbkrip

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2011
Nebraska
I suggest your local Craigslist. Be patient, wait for a good price on the device you're interested in. Ask for quality images with good lighting. When you think you've found what you want to purchase, ask for a meeting at your local carrier's store so that you can ask the employees to check the ESN. If the ESN is clean, at least as of that moment the device was NOT stolen and you should feel safe purchasing it.

Hope that helps!

Z8beema

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2013
Mass.
I suggest your local Craigslist. Be patient, wait for a good price on the device you're interested in. Ask for quality images with good lighting. When you think you've found what you want to purchase, ask for a meeting at your local carrier's store so that you can ask the employees to check the ESN. If the ESN is clean, at least as of that moment the device was NOT stolen and you should feel safe purchasing it.

Hope that helps!

But that doesn't mean it's clean forever

sixxmum

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2010
DD is dear daughter. Sorry, forum abbreviation.

So, how could a phone be "not clean" after it is verified as clean a the carrier if you switch it over right then? (Probably missing the obvious)

gbkrip

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2011
Nebraska
But that doesn't mean it's clean forever

Correct, but typically a missing phone is reported soon after it becomes missing. Unless you jump on a listing within the first hour of its posting, its a relatively safe guideline.

----------

DD is dear daughter. Sorry, forum abbreviation.

So, how could a phone be "not clean" after it is verified as clean a the carrier if you switch it over right then? (Probably missing the obvious)

It could be that the person whose phone was presumably stolen has not reported it. I've had no ESN issues in 6 years of purchasing used phones. Doesn't mean it can't happen, but if you're aware of the possible issue and at least try to avoid it (as in by checking to begin with!), you should be okay.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
How about maybe going to AT&T and see if they have any refurbished ones you can just buy at the full price?

Doesn't hurt to ask them, and I know people who were on contract and when they switched to the new family shared plans to got new phones too.

sixxmum

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2010
For iPhones, even refurbs, AT&T requires you to restart your 2-year contract if you buy from them. So, a refurbished 5C, with a restart of the 2-year contract, is still $299.

sixxmum

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2010
refurbished off Contact? Or even try Apple Refurbished?

Well, given that they want $299 for refurbished on contact... I hesitate to think what they would want for refurbished off contract ;) But, I've so far been told that they just don't do that for any price point. I haven't checked Apple directly, good thought.

Last edited:

Z8beema

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2013
Mass.
Well, given that they want $299 for refurbished on contact... I hesitate to think what they would want for refurbished off contract ;) I've so far been told that they just don't do that. But, I haven't checked Apple directly, good thought.

What model are you looking for exactly

sixxmum

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2010
What model are you looking for exactly

She wants either a 5S or a 5C. I imagine she would work with a 5. I just found the factory refurbished site that Apple now has on ebay and she could get a 5 for $479. That's a little high for a teen, but maybe...

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
She wants either a 5S or a 5C. I imagine she would work with a 5. I just found the factory refurbished site that Apple now has on ebay and she could get a 5 for $479. That's a little high for a teen, but maybe...
5C and 5 are the same phone on the inside. Not sure if you saw me suggest this, but if you have an iPhone, give her yours and you get the new one.
You can get an off contract 5c for $450 with AT&T next where you pay monthly for it. That's what I did.
probably the best route to go

eBay is the best.... For everything that's not a cell phone
I agree 100%. All the posts about the Activation Locked phones, I don't think I'll ever buy a used phone or computer now from eBay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.