Best place to buy Apple Care?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lukester, Jan 1, 2010.

1. lukester macrumors 6502

I should be getting my 30" cinema display tomorrow and will probably get the apple care for it.
    I see where everyone is saying to stay away from Ebay.. I agree.

I saw where some mention to buy it from L.A. Computer. I can't believe they are selling it for only $49, $99 is the normal price. How can this be legit?
    Every where else they sell it for retail for maybe a few bucks off.
    So is this an ok place to buy it from?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

L.A. Computer is legit, eBay depends on the seller.

3. lukester thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey thanks..

I am getting my 30" cinema display this morning..
    It is a refurb. so I hope it will be in like new condition without any problems.

4. lukester thread starter macrumors 6502

Can you buy another apple care to extend the warranty?
    I have a MBP that will be running out of warranty, apple care in another couple months, can you buy another one?

5. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

No. APP is a one-time extension to a total of three years from the original purchase date.

6. FibreSteve macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if L.A. Computer sends you the Apple Care in the retail box or do they just send or e-mail the code?

7. dankybear macrumors regular

should i be worried buying it on ebay if the seller only emails me the code? it's at quite the discount...

8. jon87 macrumors newbie

As long as you buy from a seller with 100% feedback and they have some experience with Applecare/Apple products you'll be fine.

9. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

L.A. Computer or Amazon.com are your best bets for a safe, reliable transaction at a good price...

10. littlelarry33 macrumors member

I bought AppleCare for my iMac for half the cost on ebay and everything registered and worked fine. Just make sure you buy from a reputable seller. There are many sellers that strictly sell macs and applecare, and they have great feedback, so buy from them

11. chill. macrumors 6502

i would only buy boxed applecare because apple sometimes runs checks on applecare that requires a serial # from the box

12. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

Just buy an "Inland Marine" policy from any insurance agent. It basically covers your laptop for ANYTHING. Theft, accidental damage, whatever. For $2,500 worth of coverage it would be about $80.00 a year. That's what I have now for my laptop and camera gear.

13. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

14. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

OK, so I bought AppleCare on eBay back in October. I paid $120 for it for my wife's Macbook - and I made sure to buy from a seemingly reputable seller (even researched that seller here, though I now see some negatives against them here).

So far, so good - it still shows as an active account from Apple.

I've since learned something quite simple that I wish I'd realized then - you can get a significant discount on AppleCare through the Apple Store for Education. I figure it would be cheaper, but was surprised at how much when I recently pointed a fellow teacher to it - $183 for the Macbook, instead of the $249 regular price.

Here's hoping and praying that mine works for the 3 years I need it. I wish I'd bought it on the Apple Store for Ed. now...

EDIT: Just checked and mine is still good... for now, at least...

15. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Not true at all. If you buy the code only it might register just fine, then you're happy and leave the seller positive feedback. Then further down the road when you actually need warranty service and get declined by Apple when you cannot present proof of purchase from an Apple Authorized reseller, it's too late to change your feedback.

Ebay feedback is not much use when buying Applecare. If it is a code-only purchase (no box) it's best to pass.

16. kzav macrumors newbie

Can someone recommend me an eBay seller that sells boxed AppleCares? Does anyone have any experience with them? I'm not comfortable buying a code only AC.

Thanks

17. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Yeah, if you're a student I also recommend going directly to Apple. Their education prices for Applecare are some of the best prices you'll find out there, and no need to worry if it's legit.