Best Place to Buy Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by McToma, Jul 31, 2008.

1. McToma macrumors newbie

Looks like I will have to buy the current gen. Macbook Pro.Where is everyone getting the best price? Ebay doesn't have too many "deals" and the Apple store even with student discount is a bad deal due to sales tax. Best price I am finding so far is Amazon.com and Mac Mall since they offer a $150 mail in rebate bringing the price down to about $1770.

2. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Amazon or Macmall or MacConnection seem to be the best places (after rebate).

keep in mind: MacMall will take NO returns on Apple products, period. Crappy policy but I've bought two mac's through there no problems.

Also, MacMall and MacConnection have rebates on other things, such as VMware Fuzion to make them free or near free when you buy a mac. So if you want a virtualization software consider those an option, it'll save you $70 bucks! MacMall has a free notebook 'backpack' after rebate, and free printers after rebate as well.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Amazon has a great return/exchange policy if your product is defective.

4. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

MacMall has a lot of stuff like the other guy said above for free after rebates. They have a very fast rebate system, I waited about 3 weeks before getting my checks. You can get Parallels, a printer, bag, and some other stuff for free after rebates. Best place to buy...

5. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

I'll echo the rebate speed. Both iMac purchases, all of my rebates that were sent to MacMall came in 3 weeks. The portion of the Parallels rebate that had to go to Parallels parent company took 10 weeks.

If they'd adjust their return policy on Apple products, even if it's just for defective items I would have NO QUALMS what-so-ever about recommending them.

6. PDE macrumors 68020

Given Apple's quality control, I would NEVER EVER buy from a company that does not accept returns on defective products. If you do from anybody other than Apple, and have a problem, Apple will ONLY repair, not replace. IMO, Amazon is the best place to get apple products because they will accept returns without any fuss if your product is defective: no questions, no hassle, not even a phone call is needed. You just go online, fill out the form and return it. As for rebates, amazon has a good online system that has always worked flawlessly for me.

7. rvrugg90 macrumors member

not sure where you live, but in NC, tax-free weekend starts tomorrow. If you are in the US, maybe search google for your state's tax-free weekend. It would def. make buying from apple store a better deal.

8. jroller macrumors regular

I recommend and use Amazon and MacMall when I don't order directly from Apple. Apple has to charge tax, which is a bit painful on expensive orders.

9. viggen61 macrumors 6502

Have you tried http://store.apple.com, then look down the left column to Special Deals: Refurbished Mac section.

Good prices there for current stuff. Same warranty as new.

:apple::apple:

10. TheCookie macrumors regular

TheCookie

Just FYI, legally speaking, no matter where you buy it from you're supposed to pay sales tax (if you live in a state that collects sales tax). Even if that particular store (i.e. Amazon) doesn't collect it, you are expected to declare it and pay taxes to the state.

11. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Just saying "+1" to the Amazon suggestion. If you want VMware Fusion get it on Amazon, too. Great price.

12. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

There's a difference between Use tax and Sales tax. Look it up.
    :D

13. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

Best buy has great deals sometimes they have open box mac's with nothing wrong with them for like 200 plus cheaper

I got an iMac for 1,079

14. iTabone macrumors regular

I noticed that MacMall sells some pretty low grade MBPs. They still sell 2 GHz MacBooks? I would think twice then buyin one there.

15. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Because you can get old stock? Ok. So don't order the old stock.

16. iTabone macrumors regular

Any store other than the Apple store let you pay off monthly?

17. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

I bought my 24" iMac from Amazon, and had the rebate check in less than a month. The iMac arrived with a defective SuperDrive, but Apple sent me a new iMac in 24 hours. :)

18. iTabone macrumors regular

And one more question:

Is the free iPod Touch rebate only available when you buy a MBP via the Apple Store?

19. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

yes, and with a valid student id to boot.

20. iTabone macrumors regular

So I guess I will just go to the Apple Store then. Shipping would be killer since some sites(except Amazon) don't ship free. Plus it would be nice to not play the waiting game again for my MBP:)

21. Herrow macrumors regular

I highly regard the Apple Refub section as the best deal on Macs around period! Fool proof!

22. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

No it isnt really. You still have to pay sales tax in nearly every state that has an Apple store. I would rather buy a new one on MacMall or Amazon than through Apple.

MacMall has probably the fastest rebate system around. I sent in 1 rebate to Corsair and ECS for $15 in early May and I have yet to receive my check...what a joke!! The price now has dropped and I feel like I just got robbed!

23. nephilim7 macrumors regular

I paid sales tax on mine, and bought it at the store. I'm glad I did because I've had to swap out two of them. Made it worth it right there.