Best Place to buy Macbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by maplestar, Apr 26, 2009.

1. maplestar macrumors member

I want to buy a Macbook Pro. I have my eyes on either the 2.93 Ghz BTO model or the 2.66 Ghz Model. I'm trying also to save money on tax (I live in California) and pay the least I can.

Basically, if I can get a 2.93 Ghz for about 2600 from anywhere, I'll be happy. If not, I'll be fine to move down to a 2.66 Ghz model. (I can get a 2.93 for about 2600 if I get an education discount and move to somewhere with no tax =P).

Anyone know the cheapest places to get one of these two models? I see Amazon as the best place as they have no tax and I have some gift receipts I can use. But I'm not sure if there is another online retail store I've missed.

2. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Refurb store on apple.com. May want to keep an eye on craigslist and possibly scoop up a 2.4 or 2.53 at a discount if you don't need 8 gigs of ram in your portable.

3. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Find a friend or relative who lives in a state without tax, and have it shipped there. They'll then have to ship it to you, though, so that might erase the tax savings. Still, only way I can think of to avoid the tax on a CTO machine.

4. maplestar thread starter macrumors member

Yea

I want to get a model that supports the 8 GB (even though they may all eventually) just in case I need to later on.

Also, I've thought about the shipping idea, but I don't have contacts in Oregon or New Hampshire, so that doesn't work out well.

Any other suggestions?

5. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

If you find one on ebay, you could use live.com and get 14% back. Plus no tax, but you would have to find one which I am unsure of how common they are on there. Pay with a CC through paypal and I would not worry about being ripped off.

A new 2.66 MBP can be had at newegg, with free shipping so you can avoid sales tax if possible in your state.

Try other online retailers, macmall, powermax and macsales.com.

Otherwise you may just have to bite the bullet and pay for tax. However then you can go the store and not have to wait for shipping.

Good luck!

6. jasonone macrumors newbie

jasonone

eBay

Have you tried eBay?
    You can find tons of great online sale on that site.
    Or maybe you can try the apple.com site.
    Good luck to you.

7. Pugpuppydude macrumors regular

I would recommend ebay! Not only do you not have to pay sales tax but as of now Microsoft live search offering 8% or up to 200 dollars cash-back on any but it now. I just saved 400 bucks on a new 20" imac :cool:

Edit: just noticed someone already posted similar to this, my bad.

8. NicholasHeier macrumors newbie

Hi,

Search some good deal sites such as dealnews, techbargains for it you will get an idea.

9. NicholasHeier macrumors newbie

10. MacHack1717 macrumors newbie

New site...I think.

I've been shopping at this small place in Philly for years, and I just got an email from them about a new website. currently selling a 2.53 MBP for $1999 brand new. Not bad. They offer something about points but I didn't read it all.

springboardstore.com

11. mrj205 macrumors regular

Check out http://www.appleinsider.com/mac_price_guide/ They have a relatively current Mac price guide, and update it faily often. It compares the apple store price/education price/third party reseller price. Good luck.

12. fzanetti macrumors newbie

Great info!!

Thanks

Flavio

13. Schmeiny macrumors newbie

CA State Tax?

Go with Amazon...free shipping and no tax. I ended up buying through the higher education discount - free ipod, printer, discounted software, and still probably paid more than just buying through amazon.

14. Maccin475 macrumors member

Have you tried doing a search for Apple products on auction websites?

People are constantly bidding on products, thereby driving the prices down so there is high chance of scoring a great deal. I did a Google search for auction websites and the most popular ones seem to be Circuspop (www.circuspop.com) and Swoopoo (www.swoopoo.com). They both have some Apple products listed currently. OR there is always eBay and Amazon. Someone already mentioned the higher education discount, if you qualify for that you'll also get a free printer and an iPod Touch.

15. DaREdBaRoN macrumors member

According to the ad at the bottom of the page, Power Mac has no tax and free shipping. I looked into it and it looks legit

16. mapsk macrumors newbie

I got mine through Amazon, everything went smooth..

17. mrgeek macrumors member

Apple store

You have enough money to buy from apple store.