Best Place to buy Macs?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by zackkmac, Jul 26, 2008.

1. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

I understand in any case, buying a new computer from the manufacturer is probably the most expensive method. Since I'm returning my iMac 24", I'm looking to buy a new Mac laptop. Where do you think is a great online retailer with great prices and great customer service? I tried Googling but just found a bunch of "free mac" scams.

Thanks

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

If you are a student, the discount plus the iPod is an attractive offer from Apple

If not, then a refurb is a possibility

When it comes to Apple products, there isn't a lot of variability in the online resellers price, just make sure you choose a reputable dealer

If an offer is too good to be true, it probably is

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

amazon has no tax, free shipping, and often offers a modest rebate. They also accept returns, no questions asked, for a good while (14 or 30 days I think).

macmall has good prices and lots of rebates for free and discounted add-ons (software, printers, etc.) but they don't accept returns (a BIG problem IMO) and their rebates take a looong time to arrive.

Other than those 2, the apple refurb store is a very good way to go.

4. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

I've posted this before, but if you have access to a military base you can get a macbook or mbp and not pay tax.

5. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Most military installations do not have Apple Laptops or desktops in stock. Try the Exchange Online Store if you qualify. Remember that if there's a recent product update, it won't be reflected for a few months. Still tax-free, generally free shipping.

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

If, for whatever reason, you don't like Apple, go with macmall.com

7. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

I read some where that you can't return defective items to MacMall. But, then again, I suppose that's what AppleCare is for.

Personally, I'd recommend buying from the source-- Apple.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Apple is obviously the first place to look; Amazon is good as well and they have great customer service.

Provantage has always had great support and service, but their prices may not be the best.

9. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Apple will repair machines under warranty, but they will NOT do an exchange on a defective machine purchased from a reseller. You have to deal with the reseller if you want to return for exchange or refund.

10. jroller macrumors regular

My recommendation is Amazon. It is a reputable source with liberal return policy and, as I recall, does not charge the tax that Apple does. I have purchased from MacMall as well, without incident, but have never had a reason to test its return policy.

11. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

I second Amazon. I've been a customer of theirs for donkeys years and I've never had a problem with getting money back for an order I wasn't happy with - no questions were ever asked. They're reliable, quick and there were never any negative surprises.

12. barijazz macrumors 6502

If you steal one then it's free.

what, someone had to tell him...;)

13. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Haha... imagine a thread being called 'best place to steal a Mac'?
    My guess is college dormitory :p

EDIT: I like your quote. It's refreshing to read something profound and intellectual now and again =)

14. aosman macrumors 6502

:) I did not see that one coming

15. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Unless your caught.

I've only had experience ordering directly from Apple, but I'm sure Amazon.com would be a good place as well.

16. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

I always buy direct from Apple. Not that I have much choice because retailers here sell older versions of the hardware for the full price.

17. bobbleheadbob macrumors 6502a

bobbleheadbob

Either Apple or Amazon. With :apple: you can either customize it or get a refurb. Amazon is usually a little cheaper for standard config's of most models and offers the advantage of no sales tax (if you're shipping to most states). Both are very reliable and stand behind what they sell.

I've heard too much negative feedback on MacMall to trust them any more, but I did order quite a bit from them without a problem back in the day (90's).