Best place to buy PowerPCs?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by chrf097, Dec 30, 2011.

1. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

So I'm going to be getting an older laptop for taking to school (since I don't want to risk my Pro; see topic). I'm looking around on eBay and the ones that work and have batteries and chargers are all pretty expensive, near 200+, and the cheaper ones are broken/don't have battery/don't have charger. Where would be the best place to get older Apple computers for cheap and working with batteries/charger?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Craigslist or yard sale might be your best option. Yard sale would definitely be the cheapest but also hardest to find.

3. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

ebay and Craigslist are the best options. Finding a good, functional Powerbook that can meet your needs will be a bit of a challenge. What is most you are willing to spend?

If you look hard enough you can probably find a Clamshell iBook for $100-$150, or possibly even a Pismo Powerbook or white iBook G3. But the resale value on Apple laptops is quite high.

4. skinniezinho macrumors 6502a

Get a cheap one with broken battery from ebay/craiglist/yardsale and buy a cheap battery from ebay, although it maybe won't last as much as the original, it will cost you 1/3..
    Try lemswap google group.
    Some friends have positive feedbacks with cheap pc/mac batteries from ebay.

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

There's much to be said about "broken" or "missing" on eBay. A lot of times people have no clue what they are selling. I've bought three Macs off eBay which were all declared "for parts/not working." All three are fully functional after cheap part replacement.

One of my Macs was the high end model and that was not even advertised or it would have gone for much higher. Why did the seller want to sell it? Because he dropped it on a corner. Superficial damage which I patched up and everything works just fine.

6. Liquinn Suspended

Yeah true, I'm just thinking how many PowerPC Macs I can buy for the price one one Macbook Pro 17".

7. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

eBay, but for a laptop, a decent PowerBook is nearly as expensive as a much much much faster Macbook.

8. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

i always buy mine off craigslist...but remember...only meet in a public place and only one with lots of other people around...like a mcdonalds ect...don't go to sellers place! have read way to many bad stories of people getting shot ect...just not worth it.

9. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

1. Any local based online consumer marketplace like Craigslist or Kijiji.

2. Ebay