Best place to buy ram in Canada?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jonnysods, Jun 23, 2008.

1. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

Hey, I'm looking to pick up a 4gb PC2-6400 pack - on OWC it's $105, but then I have to pay shipping plus duty fees.

Does anyone know some bargain places out there within Canada to get memory?

2. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

There's a guy that posts here under CanadaRam. I've seen some recommendations for him before. And, they seem pretty happy with him.

I've never purchased anything from him. I always buy from OWC.

But, you might check him and his business out and see what you think.

3. jazzician macrumors newbie

I second that

Canadaram is a great place to get ram. It's based here in Victoria, where I live so I had a chance to go by their office and check it out. Good prices. I'm also getting a 7200 rpm drive for my MBP there as well.

4. magiic macrumors regular

magiic

5. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

6. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

Where in Canada are you? In Vancouver, try NCIX and FrontierPC as they're probably the two largest and most reputable independents.

Just noticed you're an Aussie. Any recommendations on where to buy RAM in Sydney?

7. Radio Monk33 macrumors 6502

If you're on the west coast, there's a new store in Richmond, BC www.compu2000.com that was selling 4 gigs for 60$, think it's abit more now..maybe 70$.

8. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

Look if you live in Canada, why not get it from Canada Ram.
    I'm not sure if he has ever admitted to being the owner, But I'm pretty sure he is.
    The fact that this guy is on here almost every day helping and advising other members, shows that he is a big time mac supporter and user. With that being the case. I would think that he would go out of his way to make sure what he sells is going to work with your mac

9. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I have ordered a number of things from CanadaRAM and they have always shown up quickly and worked great. Prices are very reasonable too, but as with any dealer, fluctuate with the market.

10. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

You can count me in as a satisfied CanadaRAM customer. The deals are fair, the service was fast, and there was no ^&%$ing customs fees (unlike other places shipping from the US).

11. Col127 macrumors 6502

ditto on canadaram. i bought my ram for my mac pro and it arrived quickly and at a great price. :)

12. razorme macrumors regular

razorme

There's a local shop in Calgary (and Edmonton) with great prices called Memory Express:
    http://www.memoryexpress.com

A 2 GB PC2-5300 SODIMM is selling for $45; they don't have any PC2-6400 SODIMMs listed.

13. jonnysods thread starter macrumors 603

jonnysods

Nah mate - I'm from Adelaide, and besides, it's cheaper for me to buy things over in Canada so I never really do it when I'm back home (although it's been 5 years since I've been home!)

Just so you all know (thank you for all your advice by the way), I bough a 4gb pack from NCIX - I have used them in the past because they don't charge PST (I live in ON) and have fast shipping times. With shipping and taxes, I paid $141. Not bad!

14. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

I gotta add my name to the CanadaRam fanclub. Good prices, fast shipping, and online service with a smile.

15. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

Good to hear, glad you like NCIX, I use them whenever I'm back in Canada. I'm trying to find its equivalent in Australia but most shops here have very unprofessionally designed websites that worry me whether they actually have stock or not and lot more expensive than Canada/US. Online shopping in Aus is a joke.

16. jonnysods thread starter macrumors 603

jonnysods

I hear that. My nephew back home is massively into computers, mainly PC desktops, but same difference. I'll ask him what he uses over there, because there are a few places he goes to, but I think they are walk in stores.

I really struggle with the online experience back home too. Plus some things are just plain ridiculously expensive.

Have you checked out the price of Macs over in Australia? I'm surprised anyone has them!

17. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

Thanks, let me know if you hear of any big online retailers especially with stock check like NCIX.

I buy all my Macs in Canada :) Apple Australia is too pricey for me. I'm still in shock over how much most things cost in Sydney compared to Vancouver. Canadians complain that despite currency parity they aren't reaping all the benefits, hehe, wait till they come to Australia and see how little virtual currency parity means here.

18. jonnysods thread starter macrumors 603

jonnysods

Okay, this site looks really hokey, but my newphew (a 20 year old PC freak with time on his hands) uses this site www.msy.com.au - he says that they have the best parts pricing, they do system builds.

It's certainly no NCIX browsing experience though.

And as the the Canucks complaining about the price difference, tell me about it! It's cheap living over here man. My folks told me on the phone last night that they are paying $1.70 for petrol in SA - in Ontario it's $1.33. I'll take that any day!

Good Luck.

19. The Hammer macrumors regular

Too bad I'm in Toronto.:(

20. OttawaGuy macrumors 6502a

OttawaGuy

They ship.

21. ddoonie macrumors regular

May wanna check this out, runs till tuesday or so...

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=25372&promoid=1058

Isn't there issues running the pcs 6400, something regarding not being able to downclock the ram from 800 to 667?

I am really looking to supporting canadaram, but i couldnt find if they/he sold other manufacturers of ram other than kensington.

22. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

Jut check the site, and you'll see prices for Certified, NuImpact, Transcend (and I thought I'd seen Corsair before), in addition to Kingston. Of course the selection depends on the product you're upgrading.

23. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

Thomas Goodchilds house :eek::p:cool: jk i had lots of ram at one point and sold lots hehe sorry for a bs post but i am in Canada (Winnipeg) :rolleyes:

24. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

I've heard MSY mentioned a few times but after seeing their website I wasn't sure they were any good. Cool, I'll give them a try. Yep, other than cheap petrol Tuesday ($1.55) it's $1.70 every other day in Sydney :(

25. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

Holy crap :eek: i'm thinking it will never stop