Best place to buy RAM modules?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by vbmike73, Apr 27, 2010.

1. vbmike73 macrumors regular

I have an 07 iMac with 2GB RAM. So I'm wanting to max it out to 4GB, so I'm shopping for 2x 2GB modules, PC2 5300 SODIMM 667MHZ DDR2. Best price I have found is $99 on Amazon for PNY OPTIMA. Can I do better, and is there anything wrong with this brand? Thanks for any advice.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

OWC is great but NewEgg has cheaper prices

This is 94.99$, the cheapest I can find

3. vbmike73 thread starter macrumors regular

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Is that site reliable? They are selling for almost half the price which indeed sounds very fishy. The site is also pretty poorly made and not all links are working.

I wouldn't buy from there

5. Lloyd Christmas macrumors regular

When i went to upgrade the memory in my MBP from 2 gigs to 4 gigs DDR3 , I went straight to the source crucial.com. Even tho I may have paid a little more money, I felt save with my purchase and was sure that it was the right one. Lloyd.

6. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

Another vote for either Crucial or OWC (macsales.com)

You're not just buying a stick of RAM, you're also buying good support should any of the RAM end up causing errors. I've dealt with both of the above companies, and they always stood by their products and sent out replacement parts, no questions asked.

7. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

I've had 100% results from Data Memory Systems:
    http://www.datamemorysystems.com/

They have a separate area for configuring Mac memory.

And their prices are as competitive as anyone else's....

8. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

Another vote for Crucial. I've used them for at least 15 years, and have never had a problem of any kind.

I don't doubt that OWC is good -- not saying that. I'm just declaring that Crucial is good.

9. stonegk macrumors newbie

Another vote for OWC. I've been using them for at least 10 years, maybe longer, with no problems at all.

Several years back, I started using Crucial, and immediately started having problems. I know Macs can get picky with the type or RAM used, and my two imacs just did not like the RAM that Crucial was sending. The Crucial Customer support was excellent, and they had no problem sending me replacement chips twice, in an attempt to solve the problem. By the third set, it still didn't work correctly, so I bought the RAM from OWC, and gave the Crucial chips to a friend to put in his PC... where they worked perfectly fine. I have nothing bad to say about Crucial, they were great, but I stayed with OWC ever since then.