Best Place to Buy Tiger

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rscott505, Dec 9, 2008.

1. rscott505 macrumors member

I believe I have to upgrade my daughter's iMac G4 to Tiger as I bought her a 4th Generation nano, which requires 10.4 or above. I believe I can run Tiger on a G4.

So I wanted to know where is the best place to buy Tiger. If anyone has suggestions of reputable sources I wold appreciate it.

Thanks.

2. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

The best place to get Tiger would probably be eBay. Apple doesn't sell it anymore and you're unlikely to find it anywhere else.

3. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

To expand a bit on the previous post-

If you are going to get it on eBay, just insure that you are getting a full retail Tiger installer disk (which is black and has a giant X on it) and not some of the many System Restore (gray) disks that are offered there which are only good on the exact same model/revision of Mac they originally shipped with (and I just checked and no iMac G4 shipped with 10.4- they were all 10.3, so no System Restore disks will work with yours).

Additional sources for new and used retail Tiger disks are Amazon.com, LA Computer (home of great deals on AppleCare), Hardcore Mac (expensive but in stock) and FastMac (upgrade disk for machines with 10.3 installed already as yours probably is- if so this is one of the cheapest places to get it).

Keep in mind that all these will be 10.4.0 installers, but the free updaters to the last version (10.4.11) are available at Apple's download page.

Good luck with your search.

4. StuBeck macrumors 6502

I'd also look at craigslist or gumtree. Can get it cheaper there then ebay probably, and you'll be able to see it first and make sure it works before buying it (assuming you have a laptop you can bring with you.)

5. rscott505 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the information.

Two questions: first, are the above places reputable? I liked what I saw, but don't want to order from them, and have a problem. (I know there are no guarantees in life, but I'd like a better than 50-50 chance).

As for update, I assume that they mean that if you have 10.3 on, it will load Tiger without a problem, and you don't need an earlier version of Tiger.

Thanks.

6. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

All the places mentioned by SMD are top notch, and fastmac gets a big thumbs up from me. A Tiger upgrade disk will let you keep all your previous settings, or start fresh. I think its the way to go.

Good luck.

7. rscott505 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks to all who responded.

I really appreciate it, and I know my daughter will a well when her iPod works.